There will be three $50,000 thoroughbred stakes races on Saturday at Canterbury Park — the Dark Star Cup, the Minnesota Turf Distaff, and the Minnesota Turf Distaff — as well as the $32,750 Gopher State Derby for quarter horses. Racing will begin at 1:45 p.m. and will include a simulcast of the 149th running of the Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the thoroughbred Triple Crown, at 5:37 p.m.
A field of seven headed by graded stakes winner Rated R Superstar will compete in the 6 ½ furlong Dark Star Cup, the sixth race on the 10-race program. Trainer Mac Robertson has four of the 10 Minnesota-bred fillies and mares entered in the 7 ½ furlong Minnesota Turf Distaff.
• St. Thomas, with eight top-20 national team finishes this school year, took 17th out of 440 institutions in the Learfield Directors Cup standings for NCAA Division III. It's the Tommies' ninth top-20 finish in the past 10 years. … The Tommies recently received their 100th all-time CoSIDA Academic All-America honor when three-team national swimming champion Emma Paulson was a repeat honoree on the women's at-large team.
• Northwestern (St. Paul) named Jay Mayes its men's lacrosse coach. He was an assistant coach at Gordon College in Wenham, Mass.
• The NSIC hired Jeremy Christoffels as its assistant commissioner for compliance. He was the compliance official at the University of St. Mary.
• Three NSIC wrestlers were named to the CoSIDA academic All-America first team: Adam Cooling of Minnesota State Mankato, Joe Gomez of Northern State and Brett Velasquez of St. Cloud State.
• Minnesota State Mankato was the No. 1-ranked team in the final National Fastpitch Coaches Association's Division II poll. The Mavericks won the national title.