The Minnesota Orchestra, whose last visit to Carnegie Hall was torpedoed by the 2012-14 lockout, has been invited to the celebrated concert venue for the 2015-16 season.
Led by music director Osmo Vänskä, the orchestra will play the first and third Sibelius symphonies in a concert on March 3, 2016. In addition, Hilary Hahn will perform Sibelius' violin concerto with the orchestra.
The orchestra was on Carnegie's schedule for two dates in November 2013, to play the Sibelius symphony cycle they had been recording. The date was canceled because of the labor dispute; Vänskä resigned in October 2013 in protest over the cancellation and the lockout. He returned to his position last April.
The orchestra announced this month that it would return to the Sibelius recording project in June. Conversations with Carnegie began last summer, said President and CEO Kevin Smith.
"The season had already been booked but they were able to find a date and we made it work," Smith said. "It shows a strong interest on their part to re-engage with the Minnesota Orchestra, and for us it's a real milestone that we've established we're back."
Principal cellist Tony Ross said the Carnegie date is another sign of the orchestra's resurgence.
"Carnegie Hall is one of the premier venues in the world and we belong there on a regular basis," Ross said.