Advertisement

Mets closer Jeurys Familia rejoins team after suspension

The Associated Press
April 21, 2017 at 3:50AM
Advertisement

Mets closer Jeurys Familia rejoined the team Thursday night after serving a 15-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's domestic violence policy.

New York activated him before a game against Philadelphia.

Manager Terry Collins said he would like to use Familia right away, if possible. Familia said he was eager to get back on the mound in any role.

The 27-year-old Familia led the majors with a team-record 51 saves last year. The suspension cost him $730,328 of his $7,425,000 salary.

"I can't wait to get back on that mound," Familia said through a translator.

Familia hugged several Phillies in the outfield during batting practice and spent the rest of the time shagging fly balls with his teammates.

"I'm very happy to be back with this team," he said. "I've missed these guys."

Familia took part in spring training and recently pitched two scoreless innings in the minors while preparing for his return.

Advertisement

He was arrested last October on a simple assault charge after his wife was left with scratches on her chest and a bruise on her cheek.

A judge dismissed charges in December after Familia's wife told a prosecutor her husband did not hurt her.

Price's elbow sore

Red Sox manager John Farrell said pitcher David Price has been dealing with "soreness" in his recovery from an injured left elbow.

Price threw on flat ground for the second consecutive day before Thursday afternoon's game against Toronto. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session in Baltimore on Friday.

Price was the 2012 AL Cy Young Award winner with Tampa Bay. He was 17-9 with a 3.99 ERA last year, his first with Boston. He felt discomfort in his elbow after a simulated game in February.

Wright on 60-day DL

The Mets have moved third baseman David Wright to the 60-day disabled list, further delaying his return following neck surgery. The 34-year-old Wright played a little in spring training but wasn't active once the regular season began.

Advertisement
about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement