Boy, 8, remains hospitalized after being hit by car on Christmas Day

An 8-year-old boy remained hospitalized Saturday after being hit by a car after dark on Christmas Day in Inver Grove Heights.

The accident happened about 8:15 p.m. in the 7500 block of Concord Boulevard as the boy tried to cross the road, police said.

The boy’s name and the extent of his injuries have not been made public.

The driver, a 32-year-old man from South St. Paul, stopped and tried to help, police said. He is cooperating with investigators.

Inver Grove Heights police and the Minnesota State Patrol are investigating.




House fire that killed woman still under investigation

Authorities continued Saturday to investigate a Christmas Day house fire in Austin that killed a woman.

The fire was reported just after 3 p.m., according to Austin Fire Chief Jim McCoy. The woman was found dead inside. Nobody else was in the house at the time.

Flames were shooting out of the front windows when firefighters arrived, according to a news release from the Mower County Sheriff’s Office.

The Fire Department says the victim lived alone. Her name has not been released.

The fire’s cause has not been determined.



Driver flees after stealing SUV, crashing into Tooties restaurant

A driver crashed through the dining room of a north Minneapolis bar and restaurant Saturday morning with an SUV recently stolen at gunpoint, police said.

Officers responded to the 2700 block of Lowry Avenue N. around 4:15 a.m. on a report of an abandoned vehicle. An SUV had struck a light post and smashed into the front entrance of Tooties on Lowry, a neighborhood staple. The suspect fled before authorities arrived.

A 24-year-old Minneapolis man told police that the vehicle had been stolen from him during a robbery at gunpoint just before the crash. The victim lives less than one mile from Tooties.

Tooties’ owners, Lili and Nick Johnson, wrote on social media that it’s the second time in seven years someone has rammed a vehicle into their business.

The couple posted photos of the damage on the restaurant’s Facebook page, along with a message to customers.

“Lots of damage, and don’t know when we will be able to reopen. Soon, we hope!!! Thanks for all your concerns and offers of help,” they wrote.

Photos show overturned chairs and shards of glass all over the floor from demolished window panes. The storefront has since been boarded shut.

The vehicle has been impounded and police are investigating. No one is in custody.