Wiped from the record books, but not from basketball fans’ memories, here are some of the memorable moments of March 1997:
• In Ann Arbor, Mich., the Gophers clinched the Big Ten title with a 55-54 win over the Wolverines. Team leader Bobby Jackson sealed it at the free-throw line with 2.9 seconds left.
• With cameras watching, the Gophers celebrated a No. 1 seed in the Midwest Regional on Selection Sunday.
• After two blowout victories to open the NCAA tournament, the Gophers battle Clemson in an epic Sweet 16 game. Jackson scored 36 points in the double-overtime victory, with Sam Jacobson adding 29.
• Two nights later, a UCLA team with big names was sent home in the regional final in San Antonio. Gophers 80, Bruins 72.
• 14,000 fans welcomed the team home from Texas at a Williams Arena celebration.