Sophomore righthander Max Meyer pitched six strong innings as the visiting Gophers beat Penn State 5-1 on Saturday afternoon in their Big Ten baseball opener. It was the 13th consecutive win for Minnesota (6-13) over the Nittany Lions.
Meyer allowed the one run and struck out seven..
DenHartog powers U
Freshman left fielder Natalie DenHartog had a grand slam and a two-run double as the 20th-ranked Gophers routed host Maryland 19-5 in five innings in Big Ten softball. Sophomore first baseman Hope Brandner hit a three-run homer .
The Gophers (21-9, 2-0 Big Ten) had 15 hits and 14 walks. MaKenna Partain set a school record by scoring five runs in a single game.
• Gymnast Lexy Ramler of the Gophers tied for first in the all-around (39.600) in the Big Ten meet at State College, Pa., and won the balance beam (9.925). As a team, Minnesota placed fourth (196.425).
• Maggie Nichols, a junior from Little Canada, won the beam and tied for first on bars — both with 9.950 scores — to help Oklahoma win its eighth straight title in the Big 12 tournament in Norman, Okla.
• The Gophers men's gymnastics team beat Penn State and Iowa at Maturi Pavilion with a season-high score of 410.950. The two wins clinched Minnesota a tie for its first Big Ten regular-season title. Sophomore Shane Wiskus won the all-around (83.400) and floor exercise (14.200).
• Mackenzie Padington of the Gophers was third in the 1,650-yard freestyle (15:47.16) in the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships in Austin, Texas.
• St. Catherine freshman Jordyn Wentzel was second in the 100 breaststroke (1:00.72) in the NCAA Division III swim meet in Greensboro, N.C. Margaret Menso, her classmate, was third in the 1,650 freestyle (16:47.96) and fifth in the 500 freestyle (4:54.21). Tanner Sonnek of Gustavus placed third in the men's 200 breaststroke (1:58.88) and fourth in the 100 breaststroke (54.39).
• The Gophers men's golf team shot a 2-over 286 and was fifth after two rounds of the Furman Intercollegiate in Greenville, S.C. Angus Flanagan was tied for eight (142).