Personal injury law firms around the United States are lining up plaintiffs for what they say could be “mass tort” actions against agrochemical giant Monsanto Co. that claim the company’s Roundup herbicide has caused cancer in farmworkers and others exposed to the chemical.
The latest lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Delaware Superior Court by three law firms representing three plaintiffs.
The lawsuit is similar to others filed last month in New York and California accusing Monsanto of long knowing that the main ingredient in Roundup, glyphosate, was hazardous to human health.
The litigation follows the World Health Organization’s declaration in March that there was sufficient evidence to classify glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic to humans.”
Monsanto said the WHO classification is wrong and that glyphosate is safe for humans.
“Glyphosate is not a carcinogen,” company spokeswoman Charla Lord said in an e-mailed statement. “The most extensive worldwide human health databases ever compiled on an agricultural product contradict the claims in the suits.”
Roundup brought Monsanto $4.8 billion in revenue in its fiscal 2015. But questions about Roundup’s safety have dogged the company for years.