Advertisement

Justify will race again this year, handlers say

June 11, 2018 at 5:08AM
Advertisement

Triple Crown winner Justify will take a break and then race again this year, although no date or location has been targeted.

Elliott Walden of WinStar Farm said Sunday the group that controls Justify wants to share the horse with the public by racing him. A plan will be formulated once the chestnut colt recovers from a compressed schedule that saw him win six races, including Saturday's Belmont Stakes, over 111 days since his debut Feb. 18.

Among possibilities for Justify's next race: the $1 million Haskell Invitational on July 29 at New Jersey's Monmouth Park, the $1 million Pacific Classic at Del Mar on Aug. 18 and the $1.25 million Travers at Saratoga on Aug. 25.

Justify's trainer, Bob Baffert, can expect to hear from officials at those tracks and others eager to lure racing's newest superstar. He also trained American Pharoah, who lost to Keen Ice in the Travers after winning the Triple Crown in 2015.

Also, a challenge to Justify's success emerged Sunday. Mike Repole, co-owner of horses that finished fourth and last Saturday, told the New York Post he hopes stewards will look into tactics used by the jockey for Restoring Hope, another horse trained by Baffert. Repole said jockey Florent Geroux seemed to allow Restoring Hope to run interference for Justify.

"It definitely seemed to me he was more of an offensive lineman than a racehorse," Repole said.

Auto racing

Vettel wins F1 race

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel won the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, leading from the pole to the checkered flag — and then some.

Vettel kept racing when the checkered flag was waved prematurely, while he was still on his last lap.

Advertisement

Valtteri Bottas was second in his Mercedes, and Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was third.

Around the horn

Soccer: The prospect of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar growing to 48 teams faded after a discussion of the issue was pulled from the agenda for FIFA's annual congress. Qatar officials expressed concern about making the event larger.

NFL: All-Pro safety Earl Thomas said he will not participate in Seattle Seahawks team activities until his contract situation is resolved. He is scheduled to make $8.5 million in base salary in 2018, the last year of a deal he signed in 2014.

Women's amateur golf: Kristen Gillman led a U.S. singles sweep in the biggest blowout in Curtis Cup history. Gillman, a University of Alabama star, beat 16-year-old Annabell Fuller 5 and 4 for the winning point at Quaker Ridge in Scarsdale, N.Y., and went 5-0 in the tournament. The U.S. won 17-3, breaking the record for margin of victory of 11 set in 1982.

NEWS SERVICES

about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement