Jalen Suggs announced Monday that he is declaring for the NBA draft after one season at Gonzaga, an anticipated move for the Minnehaha Academy grad who is expected to be a top-five pick.

The news, delivered by Suggs on Twitter and Instagram, came on the same day another Minnehaha Academy star, Chet Holmgren, committed to play for Gonzaga.

Holmgren, the nation's top-ranked high school recruit, credited Suggs for helping him with his college decision, but few could have hoped Suggs and Holmgren would actually play college hoops together.

Suggs was just too good as a freshman point guard this past season for a Gonzaga team that finished 31-1. He averaged 14.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.5 assists.

During the NCAA tournament, analyst Charles Barkley was among those saying Suggs should be the first pick in the NBA draft, which will be held on July 29. The draft lottery is June 22.

"Super excited, can't wait to take this next step in my journey," Suggs told ESPN. "It's something I've dreamed about since I was a little kid. I'm ready to get going."

The Timberwolves could wind up with a top-three pick in the draft with a chance to bring Suggs back home to Minnesota. The Wolves traded this year's first-round pick to Golden State with top-three protection in the Andrew Wiggins/D'Angelo Russell deal. That means, the Wolves can keep that pick if it's one of the top three.

If the Wolves finish with one of the NBA's three worst records, they would have a 40% chance of getting a top-three selection, so the Warriors have a 60% chance of getting that pick. Suggs could factor into the equation for either team.

With the Zags trying to become the first undefeated champion since Indiana in 1976, Suggs delivered a signature performance in the NCAA semifinals. He capped it by banking in a three-pointer at the overtime buzzer to give Gonzaga a 93-90 triumph over UCLA.

Gonzaga went on to lose to Baylor in the championship game, but by then, Suggs had etched a place in NCAA history.