Traffic might be lighter on metro-area roads but congested on popular getaway routes as many escape the Twin Cities for the long Memorial Day weekend.
Unfortunately, Minnesota roadwork won’t be taking a holiday.
Interstate 94 between St. Cloud and Collegeville and on Hwy. 169 north of Milaca will be reduced to single lanes.
Metro Transit trains and buses will operate on a reduced schedule Monday and follow normal weekend schedules Saturday and Sunday.
Here is your guide to the metro-area cone zones:
1. Hwy. 100: Traffic is sharing the southbound lanes between W. 36th Street and north of Hwy. 7 in St. Louis Park. It’s also reduced to two lanes in each direction from W. 36th Street and Crosstown Hwy. 62. Look for ramp closures in the area as well.
2. I-94 in Rogers: Both directions will be reduced to one or two lanes from Hwy. 101 to Hwy. 241 at times during non-rush-hour periods.
3. I-494: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth has been shifted to the southbound side of the freeway and is reduced to two lanes each direction until Nov. 4. There are several ramp closures at the I-394 and County Road 6 and Carlson Pkwy. interchanges.
4. I-35E: Single-lane traffic on the northbound side between County Road E and Goose Lake Road will have intermittent daily lane closures between County Road 96 and County Road J. Several ramps are also closed.
5. I-35W in Arden Hills: The bridges over the freeway at county roads E2 and H are closed. Look for lane restrictions at both sites.
6. I-35W in Minneapolis: Bridges over the freeway at Johnson Street, Broadway and Hennepin Avenue have directional closures in place.
7. I-694: Westbound lanes are split with a concrete median between Rice Street and Lexington Avenue.
8. Hwy. 280: Closed between Broadway and I-35W and lanes reduced between I-94 and Broadway for the next few weeks. The ramp from southbound I-35W to southbound Hwy. 280 also is closed.
9. Hwy. 36 and Lexington Av.: MnDOT is replacing the overpass on eastbound Hwy. 36. Traffic is being diverted down the exit ramps and up the on-ramps. Motorists can expect overnight and off-peak lane closures as crews build a new bypass on the south side of the existing interchange.
10. Hwy. 5: Traffic is sharing the eastbound side of the bridge as crews rebuild the westbound side. It’s single lane traffic between Davern Street and Hwy. 55 through November. Some ramps are closed.
11. I-94 St. Paul to Woodbury: The resurfacing project between E. 7th Street and Century Avenue will last until the end of 2017. The newest closures include the ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94, White Bear Avenue to eastbound 94, Century Avenue to eastbound I-94 and westbound I-94 to Century. Also, the ramp from eastbound I-94 to E. 7th Street is closed until early June. To access downtown St. Paul, try 5th or 10th streets.
12. I-94 in the Midway: Bridges over Cretin Avenue and Prior Avenue are closed.
13. I-94 in Minneapolis: The ramp to 5th Street is closed. Use 11th Street or head to Olson Hwy. north of the Lowry Tunnel if Target Field is your destination.
14. The Franklin Avenue Bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis is closed until Labor Day weekend.
15. Hwy. 8: The highway is closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia Township and downtown Taylors Falls. The road is open to local traffic.