Advertisement

Harvick dismisses accusations he caused late Talladega wreck

The Associated Press
October 28, 2015 at 3:40AM
Sprint Cup Series driver Kevin Harvick (4) drives past a wreck involving Sprint Cup Series driver Tony Stewart (14), David Gilliland (38), Danica Patrick (10) Trevor Bayne (6) during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series auto race at Talladega Superspeedway Sunday, Oct. 25, 2015, in Talladega, Ala. (AP Photo/ Mark Almond )
Defending Sprint Cup champion Kevin Harvick (4) drove past a wreck involving Tony Stewart, David Gilliland, Danica Patrick and Trevor Bayne on Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway. (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Reigning NASCAR champion Kevin Harvick shrugged off his critics Tuesday and insisted he did not intentionally cause a wreck at Talladega Superspeedway to preserve his spot in the playoffs and keep his bid for a repeat alive.

Harvick was accused by at least four other drivers of triggering an 11-car crash at the end of Sunday's race to avoid being eliminated from the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field. NASCAR said Tuesday a review of the incident failed to show Harvick did anything intentional, and he also dismissed the claims.

"They can look at it 100 different ways, but you can't quit. You can't roll over and be done with it and say, 'We tried our best,' "Harvick said. "I don't need to defend myself."

Harvick had an ailing engine and knew his Chevrolet would struggle to accelerate on a restart at the end of the race. Harvick maintained his position in line, and when Trevor Bayne darted around his slow car, Harvick ended up hooking the back of Bayne's car, triggering the crash.

Among those who accused Harvick of intentionally starting the wreck were Denny Hamlin and Matt Kenseth, who were both eliminated from the playoffs.

"From their perspective, I can understand their frustration of not being in the Chase," Harvick said. "I am not going to throw stones because I don't believe that's the right thing to do. I did the best I could on the restarts to get going, I got out of the way, and I never even saw [Bayne] until he was by me. You can't stop. You have to try to let it play out."

Not everyone thought Harvick was in the wrong.

"That was his shot, he did what he had to do," four-time NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon said Tuesday. "You can't blame him for that."

Advertisement

Kyle Busch, teammate to Kenseth and Hamlin, thought the Chase system was to blame and not Harvick.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game," said Busch, who felt he might have been punished by NASCAR if he had done the same thing but Harvick got by based on his status as champion.

"I think it depends on whose name is above the door. If I would have done it, I probably would not have been racing [this week] at Martinsville. Last year's champion did it and they're not going to do anything to a champion."

Joe Gibbs Racing was the heavy favorite for the title this year with all four of its drivers in the Chase field. But two were eliminated at Talladega, and only Busch and Carl Edwards are still in contention.

about the writer

about the writer

JENNA FRYER

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement