The visiting Gophers swept Wisconsin 7-2 and 12-1 in five innings on Wednesday in Big Ten softball to move within one game of first-place Michigan with three games left for both teams.
Kaitlyn Richardson had a two-run double in the first inning and Taylor LeMay a two-run homer in the seventh to lead the Gophers to a 7-2 victory in the opener in Madison, Wis. In between, No. 9 Minnesota scored three more runs on Danielle Parlich's infield single, a fielder's choice and an error. Sara Groenewegen threw a five-hitter and struck out 13.
Groenewegen, the designated hitter in the second game, hit her 11th and 12th homers of the season as the Gophers (43-8, 17-3 conference) scored 12 runs while improving to 19-1 in true road games. Nikki Anderson held the Badgers (19-30, 3-16) to one run on four hits.
• After being held to one hit the night before in a 5-0 loss to the Gophers, Kansas State routed Minnesota 9-0 on Wednesday afternoon in nonconference baseball at Siebert Field. Steve Serratore was 2-for-5 with a homer and three RBI for the Wildcats, who scored four runs in the first inning. Five pitchers threw for the Gophers (19-22) after starter Reggie Meyer went only one-third of an inning. He gave up four runs, three hits and two walks.
• Senior Leandro Toledo of the Gophers was selected for the 64-player singles draw in the NCAA men's tennis championships May 20-25 in Waco, Texas. He is 25-11 and ranked No. 25; he reached the third round a year ago.
• Shortstop Sarah Kennedy of Augustana was named the NSIC player of the year in softball. Teammate Jenelle Trautmann of Hastings was the pitcher of the year. . Kristi Villar of Northern State was named the conference coach of the year.
• Gophers redshirt freshman Jordan Charles won the triple jump and 100-meter dash at the Golden Bear Twilight meet at Concordia (St. Paul). Four teammates also won individual events.
• Former Gophers star Gabriele Grunewald, the 2014 USATF indoor 3,000-meter champion, and Winona native Garrett Heath have entered the Medtronic TC 1 Mile on May 14.