University of Minnesota basketball player Reggie Lynch was released from jail Tuesday, with the Hennepin County attorney's office deferring a decision on whether to charge the 21-year-old Edina native until after further investigation.

Lynch was arrested Sunday by university police and was held at Hennepin County jail on probable cause for criminal sexual conduct. At noon Tuesday, the 36-hour holding period expired, but investigators still could pursue a case against Lynch and charge him at a later date.

Lynch's attorney, David Valentini — a Minneapolis lawyer who has represented numerous Vikings players — said his client "denies all of these charges. We have not seen any piece of evidence," he said.

In a deferral, the county attorney sends the case back to the investigating agency for additional work, generally lasting no longer than 90 days. Deferrals are issued whenever the gathering of statements and evidence cannot be completed before the 36-hour detention period expires.

Marlene Lynch, Reggie's mother, answered the family phone Tuesday evening and said, "We're just happy to have him home."

Lynch will remain suspended from the team pending the ongoing investigation, according to coach Richard Pitino. Pitino was not made available for an interview Tuesday, but did release a statement.

"I am deeply disappointed with the recent allegations and the impact this situation has on all involved," he wrote.

University President Eric Kaler also was not made available for an interview. His statement read, in part: "The investigation is ongoing, and it is important that we allow it to conclude before drawing conclusions. But let me be clear, the allegations are at odds with what we stand for at the University of Minnesota, within our athletic department and across our campus."

Interim athletic director Beth Goetz was not made available either.

According to the police report, Lynch was arrested at 2:30 a.m. Sunday for an alleged rape of a 19-year-old woman three hours earlier. Lynch was booked at 1:24 p.m. Sunday.

Police interviewed four people, none of whom was a suspect or witness, during the process. The alleged victim received medical treatment following the incident, which occurred at a residence hall, Wilkins Hall, at 1212 University Av. SE, according to the report.

Lynch transferred to the Gophers a year ago from Illinois State and was ineligible to play in 2015-16 because of NCAA transfer rules. Pitino has said the 6-9 Lynch, who helped Edina finish third in the Class 4A boys' basketball tournament in 2013, will be a key player this fall as a junior.

The Star Tribune found no prior arrest records for Lynch in Minnesota or Illinois.