Top teams tie
• MICHIGAN TECH 1, MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 1 (OT), tie: The No. 3 Huskies (24-7-2, 19-4-2 WCHA) and the No. 2 Mavericks (23-6-3, 19-3-3) tied Friday night in their series opener, leaving the top of the standings as they were. Host MSU Mankato still leads the Huskies by one point, with three regular-season games left for both teams, including a huge rematch on Saturday. Jean-Paul Lafontaine gave the Mavericks a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal in the opening period. Tech’s Reid Sturos tied the score in the second. Huskies goalie Jamie Phillips made 43 saves.
• Bemidji State 2, Ferris State 1: Cory Ward scored in the first period and Phil Brewer in the second as the Beavers (15-14-4, 11-10-4) edged the host Bulldogs (14-19-1, 11-14).
• NORTH DAKOTA 3, ST. CLOUD STATE 2: Goals by Nick Schmaltz, Brendan O’Donnell and Connor Gaarder gave No. 1 UND (23-6-3, 14-5-2 NCHC) a 3-0 lead, and it hung on to beat the Huskies (15-15-1, 10-10-1).
• OMAHA 1, MINN. DULUTH 1 (OT), tie: The No. 8 Mavericks (17-10-4, 11-8-2-2) and the No. 6 Bulldogs (19-12-2, 11-8-1) also tied. Omaha got the extra point, though, winning the shootout on goals by Jack Randolph and Austin Ortega.
• MICHIGAN 3, WISCONSIN 0: Zach Werenski and Zach Hyman each had a goal and an assist to lead the host and No. 17 Wolverines (18-11, 10-5 Big Ten) past the Badgers (4-21-4, 2-11-2-2). Steve Racine made 22 saves for the shutout.
• OHIO STATE 5, PENN STATE 3: Matthew Weis scored two goals as the Buckeyes (10-17-2, 5-10) and badly hurt any title hopes for the Nittany Lions (16-11-4, 8-6-1).
Four goalies from Division I hockey teams in Minnesota, including Gophers junior Adam Wilcox, are among the 28 nominees for the Mike Richter Award, which goes to nation’s top netminder. Also on the list are freshman Michael Bitzer of Bemidji State, sophomore Charlie Lindgren of St. Cloud State and junior Stephon Williams of MSU Mankato.