TEL AVIV, Israel — Tens of thousands of Muslims gathered under heavy security at Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque compound for the first Friday prayers of the holy month of Ramadan, among them Palestinians who crossed into Israel from the occupied West Bank.
The prayers at Al-Aqsa took place for the first time since a shaky ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas went into effect in October. It was the first opportunity many had to leave the West Bank and pray at the site in Jerusalem's Old City since Ramadan last year.
But Israel restricted the number of Palestinians allowed to enter Israel from the West Bank to 10,000 on Friday, and only allowed men over 55 and women over 50 as well as children up to 12. It has imposed similar restrictions in the past due to security concerns.
The area, which Jews call the Temple Mount, is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to the ancient biblical temples. Muslims call the site the Noble Sanctuary. Today it is home to Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest site in Islam.
It has frequently been a flashpoint in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Israeli police said more than 3,000 police officers were deployed across Jerusalem. They said their presence was not meant to show aggression or force but was aimed at providing help in case of an emergency.
Jerusalem's Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian religious authority that administers the compound, said there were 80,000 in attendance. In normal times, Ramadan Friday prayers at Al-Aqsa can draw up to 200,000.
Ezaldeen Mustafah, a Palestinian from the West Bank, was among those lamenting the restrictions.