CAIRO — Famine is threatening more areas in war-torn Sudan's western Darfur region, a global hunger monitoring group said Thursday as an attack by paramilitary forces on a military hospital in the country's south killed 22 people, including the hospital's director and three members of its medical staff.
Since April 2023, Sudan has been in the throes of war after a power struggle erupted between the military and the powerful paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, or RSF. The conflict has triggered what the United Nations calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, or IPC, released a new report saying that acute malnutrition has reached famine levels in two more towns in Darfur. It stopped short of confirming a full famine in the towns.
Last year, the group said that people in Darfur's major city of el-Fasher, overrun by the paramilitary forces after an 18-month siege, were enduring famine.
The attack Thursday in the town of Kouik in South Kordofan province, also left eight people wounded, the Sudan Doctors' Network, a group of medical professionals tracking the war said. It was not immediately clear how many of the casualties were civilians.
The attack was ''not an isolated incident, but rather part of a series of attacks that have plagued South Kordofan," the network said, adding that the assaults have left "several hospitals inoperable.''
The U.N. estimates that over 40,000 people have been killed in the war in Sudan, but aid agencies consider that the true number could be many times higher. Over 14 million people have been forced to flee their homes.
A harrowing report