Edina’s Taylor Williamson received a five-minute major penalty in the third period for cross-checking Hill-Murray’s Rebecca Zarembinski in the facemask.

It was their second such encounter this season. Zarembinski hit Williamson in the head from behind on Dec. 5. Williamson missed the next four games because of a concussion. On Friday, she watched from the penalty box as the Pioneers scored the eventual game-winner.

The two collided moments before Williamson’s penalty. Zarembinski appeared to get the worst of the contact.

Williamson said she wasn’t aware which player she hit. She denied harboring any ill will from the December game, a 4-3 Edina victory.

“I’m not that kind of player,” Williamson said.

Said Hill-Murray coach Bill Schafhauser: “It’s unfortunate but I know both kids are of the highest character. I don’t think there was anything other than a lot of emotion of the ice.”

Studying up

To prepare for Blake, Red Wing spent Thursday’s practice changing up its defensive zone coverage to model what Lakeville North has been able to do successfully at state tournaments, according to Wingers coach Scott Haley.

“It worked for about two periods,” said Haley, whose Wingers lost 3-0 to the Bears. “We had a lot of quality opportunities.”

Friday’s game was scoreless until about a minute remained in the second period, all part of the plan, Haley said.

“The pressure’s on them [Blake] at that point,” he said.

Blake senior Jordan Chancellor responded, scoring two third-period goals that helped seal her chance to play in the state title game. She was injured last year.

“I’m so happy to be back,” Chancellor said. “Last year was tough.”

Well-timed goal

South St. Paul junior forward Corbyn Jenkins picked a good time for her first goal of the season. She put home a deflected point shot early in the third period to cut the deficit against Thief River Falls to 2-1.

Packers senior goaltender Sydney Conley had to be sharp for those 53 shots she faced. She also denied a two-on-none chance just before her team’s goal in the third.

“I’m going to do whatever I have to do to give my team a chance to win,” Conley said. “We were there. We almost had it.”


Attendance for the second session was a Class 2A semifinal record 3,023. The first session attendance was 2,541.