The records from last year's event are safe. But it's likely no one at the top of the leaderboard feels comfortable.

It's tightly compacted at the top after two rounds of the 54-hole 3M Championship, and it could have been even more jumbled.

After sharing the lead with Jay Haas to open the second round, John Huston now joins Peter Senior as the co-leader at 12 under par heading into Sunday's final round.

Huston shot a 4-under 68 on Saturday, and Senior's 67 got him into the tie. Haas, meanwhile, is alone at 11 under after a 69.

Mark Calcavecchia and Tom Lehman are two back, and each was left wondering what might have been.

Lehman (69) made three bogeys Saturday after none in the first round.

"Too many mistakes," Lehman said. "I just couldn't quite get any momentum going because of it."

Calcavecchia (68) started the day at 6 under and got to 9 under with birdies on three of the first six holes. But he dropped a shot on No. 8 and then strung together five pars. He did make birdies on Nos. 9 and 10 but after his round was clearly upset with four missed putts from 4 feet and a botched shot on No. 18 that led to a par.

"I turned a 63 into a 68," he said. "Maybe I can get that 63 [Sunday]. I need a 63 at worst to have a chance"

On Saturday, Mother Nature toyed with things just as much as anything.

After a benign morning, the winds whipped up around noon, gusting to 25 miles per hour by some players' estimations.

Though most did so wearing sunglasses, players and fans were then ushered off the course at 2:34 p.m. because of approaching storms.

It wound up being for good reason, as torrential rain hit the course soon after. A lighter band of showers also moved through just before 4 p.m.

The course took on 0.36 inches of rain during the delay before play resumed at 4:30 p.m.

When players got back to the course, they found softer conditions and calmer winds, albeit coming at them from a different direction.

"You'd like to have been done," Nick Price, one of five players at 8 under, said of having to wait out the delay after 16 holes and return to fairways with almost no roll. "You go from being on the attack to being on the defensive when holes play that long."

Early on it appeared as though another prime scoring day was in store after 38 players in the 80-man field carded rounds in the 60s in Round 1, but there were just 29 rounds in the 60s on Saturday. Thirteen came from players who were among the highest scorers Friday and therefore teed off in the morning Saturday.

The scoring average went up by nearly a stroke over Friday's average.

"The wind just started howling pretty hard," said Jay Don Blake, who took advantage of the last of the good early conditions with an eagle at the par-5 third hole following his 11 a.m. start. "Shots were much more difficult after that. You couldn't be as aggressive because it was tough to be pinpoint at the pins."

Clearer skies are expected Sunday, which means it will be an entertaining race to the finish of a tournament that has twice seen players come from three back in the final round to win.

"Anybody within six shots of the lead can go out there and [win] tomorrow," said Senior, who has hit 27 of 28 fairways and all but three greens in regulation this week. "I'm going to have to shoot something pretty special."