Martin Milner, 83, an actor who broke out of supporting movie roles as the quintessential clean-cut young man to achieve television stardom as one of two road-hungry bachelors in "Route 66" and later as a veteran police officer in "Adam-12," died Sunday at his home in Carlsbad, Calif.

The cause was heart failure, his wife, Judy, said.

Milner, who came from a show-business family, had a successful and highly visible run in late-1950s movies before "Route 66" came along.

He was the naive fiancé of a ruthless New York columnist's sister in "Sweet Smell of Success" and a wide-eyed boy who lost the girl to the older man in "Marjorie Morningstar," based on Herman Wouk's novel.

But "Route 66" gave him top billing — or a share of it, alongside George Maharis — beginning in 1960. The two were cast as single men in their 20s driving from town to town and state to state in a shiny Corvette convertible trying to find themselves.

The series, in which Milner's character was the nice guy and the rich kid, was a hit and ran four seasons on CBS.

The series' guest stars included major names like Joan Crawford, Rod Steiger and Boris Karloff, as well as future notables like Robert Redford and Martin Sheen.

Milner returned to series television four years later, this time as an experienced Los Angeles police officer, in Jack Webb's drama "Adam-12" (ABC, 1968-75). He had met Webb when both were in the cast of the 1950 war film "Halls of Montezuma," and had appeared in six episodes of Webb's series "Dragnet."

Milner had no illusions about his place in the Hollywood firmament.

"The really big stars have a drive that made them into superstars," he said in 1994. "They can't turn it off when they have that success. I certainly was not driven by a great dedication that made me succeed or else."

Martin Sam Milner was born in Detroit on Dec. 28, 1931. His movie career began in his early teens.

He made his film debut in "Life With Father" (1947), as the second eldest of the children of William Powell and Irene Dunne. Soon afterward, he received a diagnosis of polio, but he was able to return to the screen two years later, with John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" (1949).

Milner appeared in more than 40 films. Between his two hit television series, he played Patty Duke's put-upon Hollywood husband in "Valley of the Dolls" (1967).

In 1975, he starred in his last theatrically released film, "The Swiss Family Robinson," the third American movie based on the 1812 novel by Johann David Wyss. It briefly became a television series as well with Milner as the lead.

He appeared on Broadway only once, in a comedy, "The Ninety Day Mistress," in 1967, opposite Dyan Cannon.

Milner married Judith Beth Jones in 1957. Besides his wife, his survivors include a daughter, Molly Decroce; two sons, Stuart and Andrew; and four grandchildren. Another daughter, Amy, died of leukemia in 2004.

Judy Carne, 76, a sprightly British actress and comedian who rocketed to pop culture fame as the "sock it to me" girl on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," a landmark of TV zaniness, before her career was derailed by drug arrests and a near-fatal automobile accident, died Thursday in Northampton, England.

The cause was pneumonia, said a friend, Jon Barrett.

After starting her career in England, Carne moved to the United States, where her first television role was as an exchange student in the sitcom "Fair Exchange." She became the first wife of a future star, Burt Reynolds.

She made guest appearances on westerns including "Bonanza" and "Gunsmoke," dramas like "12 O'Clock High" and comedies including "Gidget" and "The Patty Duke Show" before landing a starring role in "Love on a Rooftop," a romantic comedy.

Carne became widely known on "Laugh-In," an ensemble comedy show composed of brief bits of slapstick antics and verbal nonsense. It ran on NBC from 1968 to 1973.

It was enormously popular, in part because of Carne and the running gag that became a national meme. She would say, "It's sock-it-to-me time," and she would be subsequently doused with water or have some other indignity visited on her.

The phrase became hip enough lingo that celebrities appeared on "Laugh-In" in cameo bits to utter it, including Richard Nixon in 1968.

Carne was born Joyce Audrey Botterill in Northampton on April 27, 1939.

Carne left "Laugh-In" in 1970. That year she starred in a Broadway musical, "The Boy Friend," but her life began spiraling out of control as a drug habit grew worse. She was arrested several times.

She and Reynolds divorced in 1965, and in her 1985 autobiography, "Laughing on the Outside, Crying on the Inside," she acknowledged her addiction to heroin. She left no immediate survivors.

Andrew Kohut, 73, a pollster who once led the Gallup organization and the Pew Research Center and became an industry leader in crafting and analyzing public opinion surveys of domestic and international scope, died Tuesday at a hospital in Baltimore.

The cause was complications from leukemia, said a son, Matthew Kohut.

Kohut spent his career taking the national and global pulse of politics and international affairs.

As the news cycle became increasingly intense, particularly in election years, he became one of the most visible practitioners of his trade. He served as a commentator on public-affairs shows and in the editorial pages of the New York Times and other media outlets. He also collaborated on studies and books with Madeleine Albright, the former secretary of state.

Kohut was admired for synthesizing results in a pithy way for journalists covering campaigns or the shifting beliefs of an electorate.

"There's a tendency to want to ask about the nuts and bolts and details about policy," said Michael Dimock, president of the Washington-based Pew Research Center. "Andy wanted to … be conscious of the people being polled and let their voices come out, not to impose our language on their voices."

Albright said that Kohut was distinguished by his "endless curiosity."

A onetime graduate student in sociology, Kohut worked his way up the venerable Gallup organization in Princeton, N.J., and served as its president from 1979 to 1989.

Later, he oversaw a research group headed by Times Mirror, formerly the parent company of major newspapers. He stayed on when the Pew Charitable Trusts began funding the organization in 1996, and he became the first president of the Pew Research Center, founded in 2004. He led the organization until 2013.

Kohut was born in Newark, N.J., on Sept. 2, 1942.

James W. Mangan, 87, whose 36-year career with the Associated Press included covering President John F. Kennedy's assassination and getting an exclusive interview with a former Texas election judge who said he certified enough fictitious ballots to steal a 1948 primary runoff election for the U.S. Senate for Lyndon B. Johnson, has died.

Andrew Mangan said his father died of a heart ailment Friday while playing tennis in San Antonio.

"If you look at his career history, AP tossed a lot of different challenges to Jim. He did well in every one of them," said Louis D. Boccardi, former AP president and CEO.

Mangan started with AP in San Francisco in 1952 and went to work at the World Services operation in New York in 1954. He went to Dallas as assistant bureau chief in 1963 and was among those who covered the Kennedy assassination.

Andrew Mangan said his father was among reporters waiting for the arrival of Kennedy at the Trade Mart following the motorcade procession downtown, Andrew Mangan said. He said his father knew something was wrong when he heard police radio traffic "going crazy," then saw police speeding away.

James Mangan then went into the bureau, filing to the wire continually for thirteen hours after the president's assassination.

In 1965 he became the bureau chief in New Orleans before returning to Dallas, where he served as bureau chief from 1969-1977. He moved to Europe in 1977 to head AP's operations in Germany, Switzerland and Eastern Europe.

Upon returning to the U.S., he served as a vice president in charge of membership in New York City from 1978 until his retirement on Jan. 1, 1989.

Mangan was born on July 25, 1928, in Honesdale, Pa. He is survived by his wife, Bev, and sons Andrew, Charles and Peter.

News services