Staff writer Jim Paulsen ranks his top 10 high school football teams in the metro area following the first weekend of games.
1. Eden Prairie (1-0): The Eagles withstood a fierce first half from Totino-Grace and asserted themselveswith a dominant second-half in a 38-20 victory, their 31st in a row.
2. Osseo (1-0): What a game for Damario Armstrong in the Orioles’ 22-15 victory over rival Maple Grove. Armstrong scored the game-winning touchdown andmade a game-saving interception.
3. Prior Lake (1-0): Jimmy Larson (13-for-17, 181 yards, 2 touchdown passes in a 34-13 victory over Centennial) appears to have solidified a quarterback position that was a bugaboo in 2014.
4. Mounds View (1-0): As usual, the Mustangs defense led the way in a 28-7 victory over Farmington, giving up only 93 yards of total offense to the Tigers.
5. Edina (1-0): The Hornets got their running game cranked up in the second half of a 28-15 victory over Andover, finishing with 401 yards on the ground.
6. Maple Grove (0-1): Expect the Crimson, on everyone’s short list as possible state championship contenders, to come out a little ornery in Friday’s home opener against Hopkins.
7. Lakeville North (1-0): Apparently, some obviously uninformed sportswriter left the Panthers, who smothered East Ridge, out of the preseason metro rankings. Lesson learned.
8. Burnsville (1-0): The Blaze got off to a convincing start by blanking Roseville 28-0. This week’s foe, Lakeville South, will be a huge measuring stick.
9. Totino-Grace (0-1): The Eagles played Eden Prairie to a standstill in the first half. A lack of depth on the lines became obvious after a long lightning delay, however.
10. Cretin-Derham Hall (1-0): That 21-12 victory over a good Lakeville South team will look impressive as the season goes on.