Key ways to keep birds of various species coming to feeders:
• Multiple foods and multiple feeders, arranged at different heights.
• Eight to 12 feeding stations clustered in groups of three or four.
• Year-around water — especially if it drips, gurgles, splashes or mists.
• Place feeders and baths so they don't aid cats and raptors from killing birds.
• Clean feeders monthly to eliminate mold, bacteria and viruses.
• Plant shrubs and crabapple trees that produce bird-friendly fruit.
• Select seed and suet high in protein and fat to boost cold-weather birds.
• Use live mealworms to attract spring bluebirds.
• Safflower seed attracts cardinals and other birds and isn't favored by squirrels.