Celery and Pancetta Salad
Note: Excerpted from "Molto Gusto," by Mario Batali.
• 4 oz. pancetta, cut into 1/4-in. dice (have the pancetta sliced 1/4 in. thick when you buy it)
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 lb. celery root (celeriac), trimmed and peeled
• 4 tender inner celery ribs, sliced paper-thin
• 1/4 c. slivered celery leaves (thinly sliced in the manner of chiffonade)
• 6 tbsp. Red Wine Vinaigrette (see recipe)
• Maldon or other flaky sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
Combine the pancetta and olive oil in a medium saute pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta has rendered its fat and is crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a box grater, coarsely grate the celery root into a large bowl. Add the sliced celery and celery leaves.
Add the vinaigrette to the salad, tossing gently. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the pancetta from the rendered fat and discard the fat. Pour the pancetta over the salad, tossing gently, and serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 118 Fat 9 g Sodium 81 mg Saturated fat 2 g
Carbohydrates 6 g Calcium 39 mg
Protein 3 g Cholesterol 6 mg Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 2 fat.
RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Makes 1 cup.
Note: The vinaigrette can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. From Mario Batali.
• 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
• 1/4 c. sparkling water
• 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Whisk the vinegar, water and olive oil together in a small bowl.
Nutrition information per serving of 2 tablespoons:
Calories 120 Fat 14 g Sodium 2 mg Saturated fat 2 g
Carbohydrates 0 g Calcium 1 mg
Protein 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 0 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 3 fat.