Advertisement

Celebrity News: House of Cards' filming suspended amid Spacey accusations

November 1, 2017 at 2:14AM
Multiple "House of Cards" crew members have accused Kevin Spacey of sexual misconduct on the set of the Netflix drama.
Kevin Spacey in a scene from “House Of Cards.” ­Netflix says it’s suspending production following harassment allegations against Spacey. (Netflix via Associated Press/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

Hollywood's widening sexual harassment crisis brought forth a second actor's allegation against Kevin Spacey on Tuesday, halted production on his Netflix series "House of Cards" and prompted CBS to check into an actress' claim she was groped by Jeremy Piven.

Mexican actor Robert Cavazos wrote on his Facebook page that he encountered Spacey at the bar of London's Old Vic Theatre, where Spacey was artistic director, and the actor tried to fondle him against his will.

"It was more common for this guy, when he was in the bar of his theater, grabbing whoever caught his attention," Cavazos wrote. "I didn't stand for it, but I know some people who were afraid to stop it."

On Monday, Netflix said it would end "House of Cards" after its upcoming sixth and final season, although the streaming network said the decision was made before the BuzzFeed News report on Spacey last weekend. The network has not commented on plans for a Gore Vidal biopic starring Spacey that is currently in production.

The pause in production Tuesday shadows the fate of the last season.

Also Tuesday, CBS said it is "looking into" a claim by actress and reality star Ariane Bellamar that Emmy-winning "Entourage" star Piven groped her on two occasions.

On her Twitter account, Bellamar alleged that one encounter took place in Piven's trailer on HBO's "Entourage" set and the other occurred at the Playboy Mansion.

Allegations against Weinstein pile up

British police are investigating 11 allegations of sexual assaults against movie producer Harvey Weinstein that span several decades, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday. Authorities said the alleged attacks involved seven women and that nine were reported to have occurred on British soil. Three women have stepped forward within the last week, police said, including one who said she was attacked in the 1990s. Weinstein says all incidents have been consensual.

Advertisement

Oops: A judge on the Great British Bake Off, a widely watched TV cooking contest in the U.K., has apologized after revealing the winner hours before the final episode was to air. Prue Leith posted the name of the winner on her Twitter feed while traveling in Bhutan, which is six hours ahead of Britain, thinking fans had already seen the last installment. The show airs at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Britain. Leith, 77, later tweeted, "I am so sorry to the fans of the show for my mistake this morning. I am in a different time zone and mortified by my error."

Associated Press


FILE - In this Sept. 19, 2017 file photo, Anthony Rapp, cast member in "Star Trek: Discovery," poses at the premiere of the new television series in Los Angeles. Spacey says he is “beyond horrified” by allegations that he made sexual advances on Rapp when he was a teen boy in 1986. Spacey posted on Twitter that he does not remember the encounter but apologizes for the behavior. Rapp tells BuzzFeed that he was 14 when he attended a party at Spacey's apartment. (Photo by Chris Pizzel
Rapp (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
FILE- This is a February, 14, 2017 file photo of Prue Leith, who has appeared to accidentally reveal the winner of this year's Great British Bake Off. A judge on the Great British Bake Off, a widely watched television cooking competition in the U.K., has been forced to apologize after revealing the winner hours before the final episode was scheduled to air, it was reported Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017. (Kirsty O'Connor/PA via AP, File)
Leith (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Harvey Weinstein on February 19, 2017, at the Los Angeles Italia Film, Fashion and Art Festival at the TCL Chinese 6 in Hollywood. Weinstein is now accused of raping an assistant in the 1970's and exposing himself to an aspiring actress around the same time. (David Edwards/DailyCeleb/Sipa USA/TNS)
Harvey Weinstein on February 19, 2017, at the Los Angeles Italia Film, Fashion and Art Festival at the TCL Chinese 6 in Hollywood. Weinstein is now accused of raping an assistant in the 1970’s and exposing himself to an aspiring actress around the same time. (David Edwards/DailyCeleb/Sipa USA/TNS) (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Actor Jeremy Piven participates in the BUILD Speaker Series to discuss the television series "Wisdom of the Crowd" at AOL Studios on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)
Piven (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement