New "Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt says he doesn't believe the broadcast needs to take special steps to rebuild trust among viewers following Brian Williams' demotion, even as NBC's first advertisement promoting him lauds his dependability.

"If I thought I was coming into a role to fix something, I probably would think twice," said Holt, who moved into the job officially on Monday. Holt had been subbing for Williams since his predecessor's suspension in February, but last week NBC said Holt would replace him permanently. Williams was assigned to a "breaking news" role at MSNBC after the network found several instances where he lied about his reporting ­experiences.

NBC has begun running a TV ad promoting the former understudy, with the narrator proclaiming: "When it really matters, you can depend on him."

Holt said he believed his work speaks for itself, and that people who have watched him on NBC News over the past 15 years know what they are getting.

NBC's "Nightly News" has generally run neck and neck in the ratings with ABC's "World News Tonight" over the past two months. NBC had a clear lead before Williams' downfall, but ABC's broadcast with David Muir had been gaining.

At 56, the same age as Williams, Holt has been NBC's "Weekend Today" and weekend "Nightly News" anchor, and host of "Dateline NBC." He was a news anchor in Chicago in the 1990s.

Czech festival to honor Richard Gere

The international film festival at the Czech spa of Karlovy Vary will honor U.S. actor Richard Gere for his outstanding contribution to world cinema. Gere will present his movie "Time Out of Mind" to kick off the festival together with director Oren Moverman and actress Jena Malone. Organizers said Monday that actor Harvey Keitel, who was honored in 2004, returns with Paolo Sorrentino's new film "Youth." Actor Jamie Dornan and director Sean Ellis will also be among those attending to introduce their project "Anthropoid."The 50th edition of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival opens July 3 and runs through July 11.

It's a boy: Kim Kardashian is expecting a baby boy, a spokeswoman for the reality TV star said Monday. Ina Treciokas confirmed a post that Kardashian made on Instagram and Twitter in a message to her rapper-husband Kanye West. A picture of Kanye reading a book to their 2-year-old daughter, North West, is captioned: "You're such a good daddy to North & you will be the best daddy to our new son too!"

News Services