Australian quarantine authorities have ordered Johnny Depp to fly his dogs Pistol and Boo out of the country by Saturday or they will be put down.
Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce on Thursday accused Depp of smuggling the Yorkshire terriers aboard his private jet when he returned to Australia on April 21 to resume filming of the 5th installment in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie series at Gold Coast studios.
The Agriculture Department gave Depp, 51, and his 29-year-old wife, Amber Heard, a 72-hour notice to send their pets back to the United States.
"If you start letting movie stars — even though they've been the sexiest man alive twice — to come into our nation [with pets], then why don't we just break laws for everybody?" Joyce said.
Australia has strict quarantine regulations to prevent diseases such as rabies spreading to its shores. Bringing pets involves applying for a permit and a quarantine period on arrival of at least 10 days.
Glenn says he had tough year
Former astronaut and U.S. Sen. John Glenn says he's come through a year of medical difficulties. The 93-year-old appeared with his wife, Annie, 95, at a Statehouse news conference in Ohio on Thursday. Glenn, the first American to orbit the earth, says he suffered a small stroke after heart-valve replacement surgery last year. He says he's lost about half his eyesight due to macular degeneration and some of his hearing. He says he may have a corrective operation on his eyes soon. He can no longer drive or read. So, Annie says she reads him the newspaper.
'Simpsons' switch: Ned Flanders and Mr. Burns might sound a little different soon: Harry Shearer is going to be replaced on "The Simpsons," the show's top producer says. The actor — whose voice has been a fixture on Fox's animated comedy since it premiered in 1989 — tweeted that he is leaving the show. "Show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best," Shearer wrote. "This is because I wanted what we've always had: The freedom to do other work."
apologizing: ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos has apologized for not notifying his employer and viewers about two contributions totaling $50,000 that he made to the Clinton Foundation. The network news division said that "we stand behind him." The donations, made in two installments in 2013 and 2014 and first reported in Politico, were made because of Stephanopoulos' interest in the foundation's work on global AIDS prevention and deforestation, he said. The news anchor said that he believed his contributions were a matter of public record.