Advertisement

Carol Burnett revives the best of her show

November 28, 2020 at 9:51PM
Carol Burnett, photographed in 2019, lamented that when her TV show went into syndication, "all the music was cut out." She got her start on Broadway.
Carol Burnett, photographed in 2019, lamented that when her TV show went into syndication, “all the music was cut out.” She got her start on Broadway. (Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, file/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

Carol Burnett is so glad we had this time together, as she sang in her signature song. Now, she's added a lot more time, and a lot more songs, to be glad about.

Since its original run from 1967 to 1978, most viewers have seen only heavily chopped versions of "The Carol Burnett Show," and many fans had no idea that singing and dancing were an essential part of a series that was actually more classic variety show than modern comedy sketch show.

"What we were doing in essence was kind of like a Broadway musical revue every week, kind of like vaudeville, with sketches and then musical numbers. And of course in television the "v" of vaudeville became the "v" of variety show," Burnett told the Associated Press this week. "The problem was, when we went into syndication all those years ago, they cut it down to a half-hour, and all the music was cut out."

But now, 65 episodes drawn from the show's 11 seasons on CBS, which brought it 25 Emmy Awards, have been revived and expanded, most to their original hour length under the title "The Best of The Carol Burnett Show," and can be seen streaming for the first time on services including Tubi and the Roku Channel.

The expanded shows also stand as a tribute to the members of the cast who have died, a couple very recently. Harvey Korman died in 2008, Tim Conway died last year, and Lyle Waggoner died in March.

"It's just me and Vicki [Lawrence] now," Burnett said with a sigh. "We miss our gang."

Associated Press

about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement