Advertisement

Bon Iver cancels 'Prairie Home' gig, European tour

January 5, 2017 at 3:40AM
Bon Iver front man Justin Vernon performed Saturday night. ] Aaron Lavinsky • aaron.lavinsky@startribune.com The Eaux Claires Music & Art Festival was photographed Saturday, July 18, 2015 in Eau Claire, WI.
Justin Vernon of Bon Iver. The band cited only “personal reasons” for canceling its performance on “Prairie Home Companion.” (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

Bon Iver, the beloved indie rock ensemble from Eau Claire, Wis., has canceled its highly anticipated appearance on "A Prairie Home Companion" set for Jan. 14.

"Personal reasons" was the explanation.

Justin Vernon, who leads the Grammy-winning band known as Bon Iver, was among a series of newer musical acts booked by new radio host Chris Thile. Others have included Jack White, Esperanza Spalding and Lake Street Dive. "Prairie Home" has yet to announce who may replace Bon Iver for the show, which is set to be broadcast live from Chicago's Symphony Center.

"Prairie Home" found out about the cancellation on Tuesday, said show spokesman David O'Neill. No explanation was given beyond personal reasons, he said.

Under Thile's watch, the live radio program has been featuring two musical guests and either an actor, poet, comedian or spoken-word guest. O'Neill said the staff has to find two musical guests now for Jan. 14. Los Angeles comedian Beth Stelling is booked for that program.

Perhaps calls are being made to such Chicago-area music favorites as Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Mavis Staples, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and Andrew Bird. Bird and Wilco previously have appeared on "Prairie Home."

Bon Iver also canceled its European tour, which was scheduled to start on Jan. 22 in Paris and end Feb. 20 in London.

Meanwhile, it was announced Tuesday that Bon Iver would perform at the big Coachella fest in Indio, Calif., in mid-April. The band is second-billed on the nights headlined by Beyoncé.

Advertisement

JON BREAM

about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement