Gophers kick holder Casey O'Brien, a five-time cancer survivor, was named Minnesota's Sportsmanship Award honoree by the Big Ten Conference on Thursday.
O'Brien, a junior from St. Paul, was diagnosed with bone cancer at age 13.
He has been through five chemotherapy treatment plans, the most recent in May.
He is a three-time academic All-Big Ten selection and earned Big Ten Distinguished Scholar honors for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years.
Other Big Ten awards announced Thursday were:
• Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year (coaches' vote): Tom Allen, Indiana.
• Dave McClain Coach of the Year (media vote): Allen.
• Bakken-Anderson Kicker of the Year: Connor Culp, Nebraska.
• Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year: Tory Taylor, Iowa.
• Rodgers-Dwight Return Specialist of the Year: Aron Cruickshank, Rutgers.
• Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award: Vincent Smith, Michigan.
• Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award: Napoleon Harris, Northwestern.