Advertisement

Astros apologize, fire assistant GM Brandon Taubman

The team admitted it blundered in its initial statement.

The Associated Press
October 25, 2019 at 2:01AM
FILE - In this Jan. 17, 2018, file photo, Houston Astros Senior Director of Baseball Operations Brandon Taubman attends a baseball news conference in Houston. The Astros have fired Taubman for directing inappropriate comments at female reporters following Houston’s pennant-winning victory over the New York Yankees. (Michael Ciaglo/Houston Chronicle via AP)
Taubman (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Advertisement

WASHINGTON – The Houston Astros fired assistant GM Brandon Taubman on Thursday for directing inappropriate comments at female reporters during a clubhouse celebration, announcing the decision in the middle of the World Series and putting a renewed spotlight on domestic violence in baseball.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow apologized for the team's initial response Monday, which was to accuse a Sports Illustrated reporter of making up the story.

"That original reaction by the Astros was wrong, and we own it as an organization," Luhnow said during a news conference at Nationals Park, a day before Game 3. Heavily favored Houston lost the first two games at home to NL champion Washington.

"There were many people involved in reviewing that and approving that. And I'm not going to get into the details of that," Luhnow said. "… But regardless of who wrote it and who approved it, it was wrong. It was incorrect. It should never have been sent out."

Taubman had apologized Tuesday for using language that was "unprofessional and inappropriate" in the Astros clubhouse following Saturday night's pennant-clinching victory over the Yankees.

SI reported Taubman repeatedly yelled toward a group of female reporters about closer Roberto Osuna, who was suspended for 75 games last year for violating MLB's domestic violence policy and then was traded from Toronto to the Astros.

After an investigation by MLB and the Astros, Luhnow met with Taubman on Thursday and fired him before the team traveled to Washington.

Taubman did not respond to a text from the Associated Press seeking comment.

Advertisement

Houston's initial statement Monday claimed SI tried to "fabricate a story where one does not exist" and maintained Taubman's comments weren't directed at reporters.

"There's nothing about that first statement that was correct or that's defensible," Luhnow said.

Luhnow said Taubman's behavior did not indicate a wider problem on the Astros. "This is not something that's endemic. This is not a cultural issue," he said. "We have a lot of really good people in our front office, in our coaching staff, and our team."

Houston apologized to the SI reporter, the magazine and people who saw the incident, and to those who were offended.

Astros manager AJ Hinch has been critical of Taubman's behavior since the report came out. "I continue to be disappointed and just sorry it happened," Hinch said.


Advertisement
Groundskeepers prepare the infield for batting practice at Nationals Park in Washington, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. The Houston Astros and Washington Nationals are scheduled to play Game 3 of baseball's World Series on Friday, Oct. 25. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
Groundskeepers prepare the infield for batting practice at Nationals Park in Washington, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. The Houston Astros and Washington Nationals are scheduled to play Game 3 of baseball’s World Series on Friday, Oct. 25. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky) (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
Houston Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow speaks during a news conference Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019, in Washington. The Astros and the Washington Nationals are scheduled to play Game 3 of baseball's World Series on Friday. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
Astros General Manager Jeff Luhnow issued an apology on Thursday for his team’s initial defense of Brandon Taubman, but he did not reveal who was responsible for that statement. (The Minnesota Star Tribune)
about the writer

about the writer

RONALD BLUM

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement