Stories of the Year
A list of the top 10 sports stories of 2018, as voted on by AP members and editors:
1. Sports doctor Larry Nassar receives a decadeslong prison sentence after dozens of female athletes detail abuse; shake-ups at Michigan State, USA Gymnastics and U.S. Olympic Committee follow.
2. Eagles bring the first Super Bowl title home to Philadelphia with 41-33 victory over New England in U.S. Bank Stadium.
3. Supreme Court strikes down the law prohibiting sports betting outside Nevada.
4. Maryland-Baltimore County upsets Virginia to become the first 16 seed to topple a No. 1 in the NCAA tournament.
5. The Boston Red Sox overcome an 18-inning loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 3 to capture the World Series and cap a 108-win season.
6. Inspired by a superfan nun, 98-year-old Sister Jean Dolores Schmidt, Loyola-Chicago runs to the Final Four.
7. In their expansion season, the Vegas Golden Knights reach the Stanley Cup Final.
8. Tiger Woods, back after spinal fusion surgery, challenges at two majors, then wins the Tour Championship.
9. Freshman QB Tua Tagovailoa lifts Alabama to college football’s national title.
10. Fallout from the Russian doping scandal continues; nearly 170 Russians compete in the Winter Olympics.