Just when you think things on Hwy. 100 can't get any worse, think again.
On Wednesday, representatives will hold an open house from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Edina City Hall to share details of a pavement and guardrail repair project between the Crosstown Hwy. and I-494 that begins next week.
MnDOT will begin the project on the south end of Hwy. 100, then move north. Eventually the project will expand up to 36th Street in St. Louis Park. It will take two construction seasons to finish the job, officials said.
The project comes as MnDOT already has Hwy. 100 down to two lanes in each direction between Hwy. 7 and I-394 while it replaces bridges and widens the highway.
Here are the immediate impacts for motorists traveling through Edina:
- Hwy. 100 south of W. 70th Street to north of Hwy. 62 reduced to two lanes in each direction through late August.
- Eastbound W. 66th Street over Hwy. 100 will close sometime between Monday and late August for up to 10 days. Detour: Normandale Road (west frontage road), eastbound 70th St and northbound Normandale Road (east frontage road).
- West 70th Street at Hwy. 100 will have a short-term, off-peak closure sometime between Monday and late August for up to 30 days. There won't be any detours; traffic will be controlled by periodic lane closures.
- Crosstown Hwy. 62 under Hwy. 100 will have short-term, off-peak lane closures for up to 60 days.
- Benton Avenue over Hwy. 100 will close for two consecutive days. Westbound detour: Normandale Road (east frontage road) turns into Wilson Road, westbound Eden Avenue, and southbound Normandale Road. Eastbound detour: Normandale Road (west frontage road), eastbound Eden Avenue, southbound Wilson Road that turns into Normandale Road (east frontage road).
And then in the future:
Late August through late October
- Eastbound W. 66th Street at Hwy. 100 will close. There will be one lane of traffic in each direction, on one side of the bridge.
- Short-term, off-peak lane closures on Hwy. 62 at Hwy. 100
- Short-term lane/ramp closures on Hwy. 100 at Hwy. 62
And even further into the future
September through October
- Three weekend closures of southbound Hwy. 100 between I-494 and Hwy. 62 are scheduled. Detour: eastbound I-494, northbound I-35W and westbound Hwy. 62.
- Ramp closures during the southbound weekend closures:
- Southbound Hwy. 100 to eastbound Hwy. 62
- Westbound Hwy. 62 to southbound Hwy. 100
- Eastbound Hwy. 62 to southbound Hwy. 100
- 70th Street to southbound Hwy. 100
- 77th Street to southbound Hwy. 100
MnDOT also says there will be three weekend closures of northbound Hwy. 100 between I-494 and Hwy. 62. Those dates have not been announced yet.