Actor-writer-director Andrew McCarthy, a 57-year-old father of three, keeps getting asked about his "Brat Pack" years in the 1980s. He is now ready to answer.

Grand Central Publishing announced Tuesday that McCarthy's "Brat: An '80s Story" will come out next spring. McCarthy calls it a long-delayed reckoning.

McCarthy was widely known in the '80s for such films as "Pretty In Pink," "Less Than Zero" and "St. Elmo's Fire," and for his association, at least as seen by the media, with such contemporaries as Rob Lowe, Molly Ringwald and Emilio Estevez. The term "Brat Pack" was popularized by an unflattering New York magazine story that ran in 1985 and portrayed the young actors as shallow and self-absorbed. McCarthy has long disputed he was part of any such group.

Over the past 30 years, McCarthy has appeared in dozens of films and TV shows, starred in the acclaimed play "Side Man," written a travel memoir and directed episodes of "Orange Is the New Black" and "Gossip Girl" among other programs. He has also spoken openly about past struggles, saying he began drinking at age 12. Grand Central said, " 'Brat' is a surprising and intimate story of an outsider caught up in a most unwitting success."

'Dancing With the Stars' hosts ousted

The dance has ended for "Dancing With the Stars" hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews. ABC said it is looking to "embark on a new creative direction." Bergeron has hosted the show since its premiere in 2005; Andrews became co-host in 2014. Last year, Bergeron made waves when he expressed his unhappiness that former White House press secretary Sean Spicer was among the contestants. Bergeron tweeted that he told producers he hoped the new season would be a "joyful respite from our exhausting political climate." Producers apparently disagreed. Bergeron said of his departure, "It's been an incredible 15-year run and the most unexpected gift of my career."

in the studio: The studio is largely empty, but Jimmy Fallon is back to the "Tonight" show stage at Rockefeller Center after having been working remotely the past few months. His backup band, the Roots, were in place. Studio crew members wore face shields and masks. Everyone had tested negative for COVID-19, he said. There was no audience. "Normalcy, any type of normalcy, feels great," he said. However, guests, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Charlize Theron, were interviewed remotely.

Rejected: A $19 million settlement between Harvey Weinstein and some of his accusers was rejected by U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein. Lawyers for several women who had opposed the proposed settlement praised what they described as Hellerstein's swift rejection of a one-sided proposal. The deal would have provided between $7,500 and $750,000 to some women who accused Weinstein, serving a 23-year prison sentence, of sexually abusing them.

News Services