A Hennepin County grand jury indicted a Minneapolis man in connection with a 2005 drive-by shooting that killed a former Marine who police said was mistaken for a gang member.
Kendrick Tramaine Belyeu, 24, has been charged with six felonies, including first- and second-degree murder. Several of the counts allege the crimes were for the benefit of a gang.
He is accused of the April 2005 slaying of Richmond Eric Dunbar, 29, of Coon Rapids. Dunbar was arriving at a barbecue at a friend's home in south Minneapolis when he was shot.
Belyeu was first charged April 15 and arrested four days later. A grand jury indictment is necessary to seek a life sentence. He remains in the Hennepin County Jail in lieu of $2 million bail.
According to the charges, Dunbar was shot in the head as he walked toward the home in the 3700 block of Oakland Avenue S. before 1 a.m. on April 10, 2005. He was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he died.
Witnesses told police that some people at the barbecue were P-Stone gang members and that some members of the Outlaw Bloods gang had come to the party and were turned away, the charges said.
An unnamed gang member told authorities that Belyeu told him that some of the gang members who were turned away called Belyeu, who then went to the party and "got to shootin'."
The charges cite phone records showing that two calls were made from the home of the grandmother of one of the aggrieved gang members to a cell phone in Belyeu's name just before the shooting.
In March, Belyeu spoke with police. He allegedly said that he heard "from the streets" that two people had been turned away from the party but that he could not say exactly where he heard it.
The charges say that Bel-yeu's mother denied that he ever had a cellphone in his name and said that they may have been out of town at the time of the homicide.
Belyeu's attorney, John Hughes, could not be reached for comment. Belyeu is scheduled to make his first appearance on the indictment on Friday.
Abby Simons • 612-673-4921