The Augsburg wrestling team, fresh off two victories over No. 2-ranked teams last weekend, will take on a top-ranked team next.
The Auggies, ranked No. 3 in the NCAA Division III poll, will wrestle Wartburg, the top-ranked team in Division III, in Waverly, Iowa, on Saturday.
The two teams are the only ones that have won a Division III national title in the past 13 years. Wartburg, the runner-up to Augsburg at last year's national meet, is 19-0 this season and has won 27 consecutive duals.
Last Friday, the Auggies defeated Neb.-Omaha, ranked No. 2 in Division II, 22-15. On Saturday, the Auggies defeated Wis.-La Crosse, ranked No. 2 in Division III, 23-14. Those victories left Augsburg with a 9-1 record in dual meets.
The victory over Wis.-La Crosse avenged the Auggies' only loss this season. The Eagles defeated Augsburg 26-12 in the semifinals of the Division III National Duals in Cedar Falls, Iowa, earlier this month.
The Auggies are in their first season under coach Sam Barber. He replaced Jeff Swenson, who is now the Auggies athletic director after 25 seasons as wrestling coach.Tesch gets extension
Bemidji State football coach Jeff Tesch, the most successful football coach in school history, has agreed to a four-year contract extension through the 2011 season.
Tesch has directed the Beavers to a 78-51 record in 12 seasons.Etc.
• Carleton will dedicate its West Gym playing floor and new scoreboard on Saturday in honor of former Carleton men's basketball coach Jack Thurnblad and his wife, Jinny. Thurnblad coached the Knights from 1960-1984.
• Hamline inducted six into its Athletic Hall of Fame on Saturday. The inductees are: Frank Dvorak (student trainer/manager), David Lechner (soccer, baseball), Kristy (Kinzie) Masso (gymnastics), Mike Rowley (football, track and field), Paul Schmaedeke (cross country, track and field) and Paul Westling (football, basketball).
• The Minnesota State Mankato women's bowling team, ranked No. 11 in the NCAA poll, will compete at the Mid-Winter Classic in Jonesboro, Ark., this weekend. The Mavericks went 9-0 at the Greater Ozark Invitational Jan. 19-20 in Springfield, Mo. Included in the victories was one over No. 2 Vanderbilt.
• The Minnesota State Mankato wrestling team defeated three opponents at the Central Missouri Duals on Saturday by a combined scored of 130-4. The Mavericks, ranked No. 1 in the Division II poll, are 15-0-1 this season.
• Augsburg's Christa Suedbeck (12.1 points and 10.8 rebounds per game) and Bethel's Annegret Nautsch (16.8 points and 11.8 rebounds per game) are the only MIAC women's players averaging double-doubles.
• Macalester's Tom Conboy (23.4 points and 11.4 rebounds per game) and Augsburg's Femi Solaja (13.8 points and 11.2 rebounds per game) are the only MIAC men's players averaging double-doubles.