MAARAT AL-NUMAN, Syria — A camp in northeastern Syria that had housed families of suspected members of the Islamic State group is now largely empty after hundreds of women and children were repatriated to their countries or transferred to other facilities in recent weeks, officials said Friday.
The repatriation to Iraq is part of Syrian government efforts to have suspected IS militants and their family members — held in various camps since the extremist group's was defeated in Syria in 2019 — returned to their countries of origin.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, the U.N. refugee agency's representative in Syria, said in a statement that his agency had assisted in the return of 191 Iraqi citizens from Syria's al-Hol camp to Iraq on Thursday.
''With this repatriation, and with today's return of several vulnerable Syrian families supported by UNHCR and partners, Al‑Hol camp will now be practically empty,'' he said.
A Syrian government official also said that about 600 Syrians were moved from al-Hol to Akhtarin camp in northwestern Aleppo province, with transfers ongoing.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly, said the decision to empty the al-Hol camp was made because of its remote location in the desert — far from services and close to areas where the authorities do not have complete control of the territory.
After the defeat of IS in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at al-Hol, most of them Syrian and Iraqi citizens but also including thousands from other countries. The camp's residents are mostly women, including wives or widows of IS members, and their children.
Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens, leaving about 24,000 last month. It's not clear how many are there still after large numbers fled during a struggle over control of the camp and after the latest repatriations and transfers.