Ten kids from around the state will prepare their healthy concoctions for local celebrity chefs in the finals of the Super Snack Challenge on Tuesday.
The so-called “All-Pro Chefs” were selected from 400 entrants. Their task was to share their favorite healthy game-day recipe. The kids, ages 8 to 15, came up with recipes such as Touchdown Taco Cups, Healthy Rainbow Towers, Señor Popeye’s Spanakopita and the multi-culture wonder of Touchdown Chinese Lefse Chicken Roll Ups.
On Tuesday, the 10 will come from Duluth, Royalton, Eagan, St. Paul and Minneapolis to prepare their recipes for the celebrity panel at Breaking Bread Cafe, 1210 W. Broadway in Minneapolis. Andrew Zimmern is emcee of the event.
The winner will be announced during the Kids Tailgate Party in the 10 days leading up to the Feb. 4 Super Bowl at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Newman’s Own Foundation sponsored the challenge and will present a grant to Appetite for Change, the owner of Breaking Bread, which uses urban agriculture and good food “as a vehicle for social change,” according to its website. The grant is part of the Super Bowl Host Committee’s 52 Weeks of Giving through which they have donated more than $3 million in grants to healthy youth initiatives throughout the state.
Among the celebrity judges are David Fhima of Bistro 3.7.3, Gavin Kaysen of Spoon and Stable and Bellecour, Tomme Beevas of Pimento Jamaican Kitchen, Yia Vang of Union Kitchen, and Sven Sundgaard, a meteorologist on KARE 11.
Finalists and their dishes:
• Kingston Brooks, 10, Minneapolis, Bold Broccoli & Cheese Skin Potatoes
• Ally Grabianowski, 14, Mankato, Stuffed Peppers
• Lucas Hobbs, 15, Eagan, Señor Popeye’s Spanakopita
• Eva Hunderfund, 10, Rochester, Healthy Rainbow Towers
• Naimah Muhammad, 11, Minneapolis, Spiced Pumpkin Hummus
• Morgan Myers, 8, Minneapolis, Touchdown Chinese Lefse Roll Ups
• Oscar Powers Mons, 8, St. Paul, Touchdown Taco Cups
• Christofer Ramirez, 14, Royalton, Colorful Black Bean Salad
• Sanjay Scott Redd, 13, St. Paul, Fruit and Granola
• Daijon Compere, 13, Duluth, Parfait of Flavor