Death toll in one of India's worst building collapses rises to 60 as clearing work winds down

  • Article by: Associated Press
  • Updated: July 3, 2014 - 8:20 AM

NEW DELHI — The death toll in a building collapse in southern India has risen to 60, as hundreds of workers came close to clearing the massive ruins of the 11-story structure, police said Thursday.

Police Inspector-General Sandeep Rai Rathore said 27 people had been rescued since the weekend — the last one on Tuesday — from under the enormous heap of broken concrete slabs, twisted iron girders and concrete dust in one of the worst building collapses in India in decades.

The excavation was likely to be completed on Friday, he said.

Police have arrested six construction company officials for alleged criminal negligence and violation of building codes. Authorities are investigating the cause of Saturday's collapse in Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu state.

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Close