Jamar Clark died from a gunshot wound to the head after an encounter with two Minneapolis police officers in North Minneapolis early on the morning of Nov. 15. Some witnesses have said Clark, who was 24, was handcuffed when he was shot, which police deny. A police union official said Clark was trying to grab an officer’s gun when he was shot. State and federal officials are investigating the shooting. Clark’s funeral is scheduled for Nov. 25.
Clark’s shooting is the latest incident to highlight the often strained relationship between residents of Minneapolis’ North Side and the city’s police department. It’s also brought more attention to the economic struggles of Minnesota’s black residents, who badly trail their white counterparts in terms of household income and educational achievement.
Here’s what we know about the incident and the events that followed.
The incident
- The confrontation began at about 12:45 a.m. Sunday in the 1600 block of Plymouth Avenue N. Police responded to a disturbance call across the street from the Elks Lodge, a popular neighborhood hangout less than two blocks from the precinct station.
- Nekelia Sharp, a neighbor, said an ambulance was called after Clark and his girlfriend got into an argument. While paramedics were taking the girlfriend away, Clark tried to talk to her and that’s when he was handcuffed and then shot, Sharp said.
- A statement from the Minneapolis chapter of the NAACP said that according to "numerous witness accounts ... Upon arriving at the scene, the police placed the victim in handcuffs and slammed him to the ground."
- According to police scanner audio of the incident posted on the MN Police Clips Facebook page the apparent domestic confrontation started in an apartment. An officer is later heard requesting all available squad cars, saying, “We’ve got a big crowd; we need a lot of cops.”
- A statement from police said that officers answered a call about an assault and were then alerted that Clark “had returned to the area and was confronting paramedics and disrupting their ability to render aid" to his girlfriend.
- Bystanders swarmed as emergency vehicles were responding. In a video posted on Facebook by a witness, one woman was repeatedly shouting, “Y’all just killed that man!” Others nearby were pointing at police and taunting them. A few seconds of the video showed an emergency responder kneeling over someone on the ground.
- The NAACP statement quoted witness Teto Wilson, who said Clark “was just laying there. He was not resisting arrest. Two officers were surrounding the victim on the ground, an officer maneuvered his body around to shield Jamar’s body, and I heard the shot go off.”
- Witnesses said that officers pushed the increasingly agitated crowd back toward the Elks Lodge across the street and that several people were pepper-sprayed.
The immediate aftermath
- Clark’s death prompted a week of mostly peaceful protests and marches, including a visit by the national president of the NAACP.
- A rally called by Black Lives Matter Minneapolis began Sunday at the shooting scene and continued into the evening a few blocks away outside the police department’s Fourth Precinct headquarters. .
- On Nov. 16, about 100 protesters had moved across Interstate 94 south of Broadway, where they linked arms and blocked traffic lanes for more than two hours before State Patrol officers moved in and arrested 43 adults, including Minneapolis NAACP President Nekima Levy-Pounds, and eight juveniles, according to police.
- Friends of Clark’s family said Nov. 17 that he had been removed from life support and that family members were making funeral arrangements.
- On Nov. 17, police moved to break up the protesters camped in front of the north Minneapolis precinct headquarters and set up barricades outside the building. Police released pepper spray on at least two occasions over the course of the night as the protests continued.
- Saying there is a “criminal justice crisis” in Minnesota, national NAACP President Cornell Brooks spoke at a candlelight vigil for Clark in Minneapolis on Nov. 20. Brooks also met with Mayor Hodges, Gov. Mark Dayton and local leaders.
- Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the police union, said the shooting happened after Clark allegedly tried to grab one of the officer’s guns when they responded to a paramedic’s 911 call for help early Sunday morning and scuffled with Clark.
- A grainy 59-second video appeared on the Black Lives Matter Minneapolis Facebook page Nov. 22. The online post says the video shows Clark “moments after he was shot in the head by Minneapolis Police. At the 29 second mark, you can see Jamar’s body appears to be lifeless on the ground with his hands in handcuffs, just as numerous witnesses have reported from day one.” The jerky, handheld video depicts at least one officer with a pistol drawn and bystanders yelling at officers.
The investigations
- Police Chief Janeé Harteau said on Nov. 15 that her department’s preliminary information was that Clark was not handcuffed when police shot him.
- The Minneapolis Police Department turned the investigation over to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA).
- In a letter to Justice Department officials, Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges wrote that she and Harteau have “utmost faith” in the state investigation but that they believe a federal probe will assist “the interests of transparency and community confidence.”
- Black Lives Matter had cited a federal investigation as one item on a broader list of demands. The group also called for the city to release any video footage it may have of the shooting and to immediately fire the officers involved in the incident.
- The U.S. attorney’s office said Nov. 17 that the FBI would conduct the federal investigation requested by the mayor, with an independent review of all evidence by the office as well as U.S. Department of Justice prosecutors
- At a Nov. 17 news conference, BCA Superintendent Drew Evans said that there are videos from the shooting but that none shows the full incident that left Clark dead. The videos came from an ambulance, a public housing building, the cellphones of bystanders and a police mobile video station. There is no video from any police car or officer body cameras. The BCA is working with a nearby Elks Lodge to examine its exterior video.
- No video will be released, Evans said, until the investigation is complete, which could take two to four months. He said the video will be withheld for now because “we don’t want to taint the interviews with the witnesses.”
- The BCA on Nov. 18 identified the officers as Mark Ringgenberg, 30, and Dustin Schwarze, 28. Each has seven years policing experience, including the last 13 months with Minneapolis.
- The Hennepin County medical examiner said Clark, 24, died Nov. 16 as the result of a single gunshot to the head.
- Gov. Mark Dayton said Nov. 23 that he had reviewed video footage from an ambulance at the scene, but it appeared to be inconclusive.
The Black Lives Matter protest shootings
- Five protesters were shot late Nov. 23 near the Black Lives Matter encampment at the Fourth Precinct police station in north Minneapolis, according to police.
- Miski Noor, a media contact for Black Lives Matter, said “a group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights.”
- When about a dozen protesters attempted to herd the group away from the area, Noor said, they “opened fire on about six protesters,” hitting five of them. Dana Jaehnert, who had been at the site most of the night, said she heard four gunshots.
- Minneapolis police said Nov. 25 that they have arrested three men in connection with the shooting. Allen Lawrence “Lance” Scarsella III, 23, was arrested in Bloomington. Sources said Nathan Gustavsson, 21, of Hermantown, and Daniel Macey, 26, of Pine City, were taken into custody after they turned themselves in. All three suspects are white. Earlier Tuesday, police arrested a 32-year-old Hispanic man in south Minneapolis, but he was later released because, police said, he was not at the scene of the shooting.
- Authorities are weighing whether to treat Monday’s shooting as a hate crime, according to sources familiar with the investigation.
- Vikings castoff Coleman joins list of top playoff playmakers
- U.S. Supreme Court gives juveniles serving life without parole a chance
- Pair behind Planned Parenthood videos indicted in Texas
- Most Americans don't have enough money to cover a $500 emergency
- Gallery: Black Sabbath, "The End tour" at the Target
- Why is the Downtown East Commons park such a tough sell?
Authorities identify 2 killed in Walworth County crash
Man accused of burning down his Carlton County cabin

Life is lonely in Edina, teen tells mayor
