The loudest cheers of the weekend may be outside of Target Field Saturday evening where Metro Transit will throw a party to celebrate being names the Transit System of the Year by the American Public Transportation Association.
Inside the stadium, the Twins mercifully play their final home games of the year Friday through Sunday with games against Seattle, which may be another reason to cheer. The Gopher football team has a home game with Colorado State Saturday.
There won't be any joy for drivers using either direction of I-35E between Shepard Road and I-94. The freeway will be shut down from Friday night until Monday morning.
Northbound Cedar Avenue drivers also will be on detour as the highway will be closed Friday night through Monday morning between Diffley Road and the Minnesota River bridge as crews place beams for the new Cedar Grove Transit Station. The $15 million includes a station platform in the freeway median, and a pedestrian bridge connecting it to the original station area
Here is this weekend's road construction.
1. I-494 in Plymouth/Maple Grove: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth has been shifted to the southbound side of the freeway and is reduced to two lanes each direction until Nov. 4. Expect off-peak lane and ramp closures on I-494 south of Hwy 55 through September.
2. Hwy. 100 in St. Louis Park: Lane restrictions in the vicinity of Hwy. 7 and Excelsior Blvd.
3. County Road 81 in Brooklyn Park: Single lane from 63rd Avenue to West Broadway Avenue (County Road 8).
4. I-35W in Mounds View: Lanes narrow in the vicinity of County Road H due to bridge construction.
5. I-694 in Shoreview: Westbound traffic has two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between I-35E and Lexington Avenue through November.
6. I-35E in the northeast metro: Intermittent lane closures between County E and Main Street. County 96 is closed from Manning Avenue to Dellwood Road.
7. Hwy. 8 in Franconia: The highway is closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia and downtown Taylors Falls.
8. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Road work between I-94 to Beech Street and closed to all traffic between Wilson Avenue and 3rd Street.
9. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: Three lanes open despite construction between Mounds Blvd. and Century Avenue. Occasional lane closures on the eastbound side. Both directions reduced to three lanes from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday and reduced to two lanes from 8 to 10pm, then reduced to one lane from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Saturday.
10. Hwy. 36 at Lexington Avenue in Roseville: Eastbound is still using a bypass at Lexington Avenue.
11. I-35E in St. Paul: Both directions between Shepard Road and I-94 closed from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday. Randolph Avenue bridge over 35E closed until late September.
12. Hwy. 5 in St. Paul: Right lanes closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. daily.
13. Washington Avenue in Minneapolis: Westbound lanes closed from Portland Avenue to Hennepin Avenue S.; 5th Avenue closed at Washington Avenue.
14. Northbound Cedar Avenue: Closed from Diffley Road to the Minnesota River bridge.
15. Hwy. 3 in Farmington: Closed between Willow Street and 160th Street.