Motorists in the metro may have the most difficulty getting around this weekend as portions of two freeways will be shut down Friday night through Monday morning.
The closures of I-94 in St. Paul’s Midway area and I-35W in Arden Hills could throw a curveball to fans heading to some of the weekend’s largest events that include Twins games against Detroit Friday through Sunday at Target Field, the Who Hits 50 Tour concert Sunday night at Target Center and Stars on Ice extravaganza at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.
Drivers can also expect lots of congestion and road closures around Minnehaha Park and the VA Medical Center Saturday as thousands will be participating in the Get in Gear races.
In the northwest metro, drivers can expect some snarls on I-94 between Rogers and St. Michael as the freeway will be reduced to one or two lanes at times Friday through Sunday. And the single lane configuration on I-35E in Vadnais Heights could hamper travel for those escaping the city for the weekend.
Elsewhere, drivers will hit lane closures and detours as a spate of road construction projects roll on.
Here is a rundown of major road work on tap for the weekend:
1. I-94 in the Midway: The interstate will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday between Hwy. 280 and Snelling Avenue. Eastbound drivers will have one lane open from Snelling Avenue to Dale Street. Westbound drivers will have one lane open from Dale Street to Snelling Avenue. On ramps leading to westbound 94 will be closed between I-35E and Cretin Avenue. Motorists will be detoured via Hwy. 280, Hwy. 36 and I-35E. The Lexington Pkwy. and Prior Avenue bridges over I-94 are closed.
2. I-94 in Rogers: The eastbound lanes will be reduced to one or two lanes from Hwy. 101 to Hwy. 241 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday, and 9 a.m. to noon Sunday. Westbound traffic will be impacted from 7 to 11 p.m. Friday, 8 to 11 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to noon Sunday.
3. I-35W in Arden Hills: MnDOT is demolishing the County Road E2 bridge, so it’s shutting down the freeway from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday. Motorists will be directed in a single lane up and down the ramps. No traffic will be allowed to turn onto County Road E2 and County Road E2 traffic will not be allowed to enter I-35W.
4. I-35E: The freeway features single-lane traffic on the northbound side between County Road E and Goose Lake Road. This will last until late May. Motorists on Hwy. 96 will encounter single lane traffic between White Bear Pkwy and Centerville Road through mid-June. These ramps are closed: County Road E to northbound 35E, northbound 35E to County Road E, southbound 35E to Hwy. 96 and eastbound Hwy. 96 to northbound 35E.
5. I-694: Westbound drivers should be on the ready for overnight lane closures between Dale Street and Lexington Avenue. Crews are preparing bypasses and crossovers ahead of work to add a third lane between Dale and Lexington.
6. I-94 St. Paul to Woodbury: The resurfacing project between E. 7th Street and Century Avenue. will last until the end of 2017. The newest closures include the ramp from Ruth Street to westbound I-94, White Bear Avenue to eastbound 94, Century Avenue to eastbound I-94 and westbound I-94 to Century. Also, the ramp from eastbound I-94 to E. 7th St. is closed until early June. To access downtown St. Paul, try 5th or 10th Streets.
7. Hwy 36 and Lexington Av.: MnDOT is replacing the overpass on eastbound Hwy. 36. Traffic is being diverted down the exit ramps and up the on ramps. Motorists can expect some overnight and off-peak lane closures as crews build a new bypass on the south side of the current interchange. Drivers needing to access Lexington can use Dale Street or Hamline Avenue and circle back to Lexington by using County Road B or C.
8. Hwy 5: Traffic is sharing the eastbound side of the bridge as crews rebuild the westbound side. It’s single lane traffic between Davern Street and Hwy. 55 through November. Some ramps at the Hwy. 5 and 55 interchange, Mississippi Blvd. and Edgcumbe Road also are closed.
9. Hwy 100: Traffic is sharing the southbound lanes between W. 36th Street and north of Hwy. 7 in St. Louis Park. It’s also reduced to two lanes in each direction from W 36th Street and Crosstown Hwy. 62. Look for ramp closures in the area as well.
10. I-494: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 has been shifted to the southbound side of the freeway and is reduced to two lanes each direction until Nov. 4. There are several ramp closures at the I-394 and Carlson Pkwy. interchanges.
11. Hwy. 55/Hiawatha Avenue: The ramp from northbound Hiawatha Avenue to 7th Street in downtown Minneapolis remains closed until Monday. The prescribed detour is to take Hiawatha to the 3rd Street exit to 4th Avenue S. Other options include using I-35W or Cedar Avenue to Washington Avenue or westbound I-94 to 11th Avenue.