It's an art fair doubleheader in Minneapolis where the handiwork of regional and national artists will be on display, but it won't be picturesque on the roads.
Expect extra traffic and road closures in areas surrounding the Uptown Art Fair at Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue and the Powderhorn Art Festival on 35th Street between Chicago and Bloomington avenues. Motorists will find lane closures on Hwys. 100 and 280 and a complete shutdown of I-35E south of downtown St. Paul.
The Fremont Avenue Bridge over the Midtown Greenway in south Minneapolis is closed indefinitely to motor vehicle traffic. A safety drill will take Blue Line light-rail trains offline from 11:30 p.m. Sunday to 3 a.m. Monday. Buses will fill in between the Fort Snelling and 46th Street stations.
In Eden Prairie, the Shreya R. Dixit Memorial Foundation will hold the ninth Raksha Walk/5K Run for Distraction-Free Driving at the Purgatory Creek Recreation Area. Central Avenue in northeast Minneapolis will be closed from Lowry Avenue to 18th Street for an Open Streets celebration Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Here is your guide to this weekend's road construction:
1. I-494 in Plymouth: Traffic between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth is down to two lanes each direction. Ramp closures: Eastbound I-394 to northbound I-494 and southbound I-494 to eastbound I-394 until 5 a.m. Monday.
2. Hwy. 100 in St. Louis Park: Northbound closed between Crosstown and I-394 until 10 p.m. Saturday.
3. I-35W in Roseville and New Brighton: Lane restrictions near bridge projects at County Roads 10, E2 and H.
4. I-694 in Shoreview: Westbound traffic has two lanes separated by a concrete barrier between I-35E and Lexington Avenue.
5. I-35E in the northeast metro: Intermittent lane closures between County Roads 96 and J; County 96 is single lane from Centerville Road to White Bear Parkway.
6. Hwys. 61 and 97 in Forest Lake: Both directions of Hwy. 61 between the north intersection of Hwy. 97/ Scandia Trail and 202nd Street are single lane.
7. Hwy. 8 in Franconia: Closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 and downtown Taylors Falls.
8. I-94 from St. Paul to Maplewood: The left westbound lane between Mounds Blvd. and Century Avenue is closed. The left eastbound lane is closed from 4 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. weekdays and Saturdays until Aug. 19.
9. White Bear Avenue in St. Paul: Closed between Beech Street and I-94.
10. I-35E in St. Paul: Both directions closed between I-94 and Shepard Road until 5 a.m. Monday. Northbound 35E is closed from Hwy. 110 to Shepard Road until noon Saturday.
11. Hwy. 36 at Lexington Avenue in Roseville: Ramps at Lexington are closed.
12. Hwy. 280 in Lauderdale: Southbound lanes closed from I-35W to Como Avenue until 5 a.m. Monday.
13. I-35W in Minneapolis: The following bridges over I-35W have lane closures: westbound E. Hennepin Avenue, eastbound NE. Broadway and northbound Johnson Street.
14. Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis: The bridge over the Mississippi River is closed until Labor Day.
15. Hwy. 5 in St. Paul: Single lane in both directions over the Mississippi River near Fort Snelling.
16. Hwy. 13 in Lilydale: Closed between Wachtler Avenue and Sylvandale Road until Sept. 2.
17. Hwy. 3 in Farmington: Alternating lane closures between Hwy. 50 in Farmington and 179th Street.
18. Hwy. 61 in Denmark Township: Occasional lane closures in both directions from just north of Hwy. 10 to just south of 127th Street.