The shutdown of two — yes, two — segments of Interstate 35E this weekend will likely throw motorists and their GPS systems into a tizzy as they search for alternate routes to send them around the closures and away from prescribed detours that feature constructions zones of their own.
Both directions of I-35E between Interstate 94 in downtown St. Paul and Shepard Road and further north from County Road E in Vadnais Heights and County Road 14 in Hugo are shut down until 5 a.m. Monday. In the west metro, northbound Hwy. 100 through Edina, St. Louis Park and Golden Valley is closed.
Leaving town might not provide much relief, either. The Minnesota Department of Transportation is warning about backups and slow traffic on I-35 between Hinckley and Pine City, bad news for those heading to and returning from Grandma's Marathon in Duluth. Bridge painting could snarl traffic on I-35 between Northfield and Elko. Going northwest? Construction will slow down drivers on I-94 in Rogers and from St. Cloud to Collegeville.
Here in town, the North Star Bicycle Festival Sunday in Stillwater, Twins games at Target Field and a show featuring pop megastar Justin Bieber at Target Center Sunday night will generate traffic. Expect congestion around the State Fairgrounds for the annual Minnesota Street Rod Association's Back to the 50s weekend.
1. I-94 in Rogers: Lane restrictions from Hwy. 101 to west of Hwy. 241.
2. I-494: Traffic two lanes between Fish Lake Road in Maple Grove and Hwy. 55 in Plymouth.
3. Hwy. 100: Northbound between the Crosstown and I-394 shut down until 5 a.m. Monday. Southbound lanes open, but are reduced to two lanes from W. 36th Street to Crosstown Hwy. 62.
4. I-35W in Arden Hills: Narrow lanes and lane shifts in both directions at County Roads E2 and H.
5. I-694: Westbound lanes are split with a concrete median between I-35E and Lexington Avenue.
6. I-35E in northeast metro: Both directions closed from County Road 14 and County Road E through 5 a.m. Monday.
7. Hwy. 61: Both directions from Hwy 97 and 202nd Street are single lane.
8. Hwy. 8: Closed between the south junction of Hwy. 95 in Franconia Township and Taylors Falls.
9. I-35E in St. Paul: Both directions closed between I-94 and Shepard Road until 5 a.m. Monday.
10. Hwy. 36: Traffic has been shifted to the new bypass at Lexington Avenue. The ramp from Dale Street to westbound Hwy. 36 is closed.
11. Hwy. 280: Closed between Broadway and I-35W and lanes reduced between I-94 and Broadway.
12. I-35W in Minneapolis: Bridges over I-35W have lane closures until late June: Eastbound Hennepin Avenue, Westbound Broadway Street and southbound Johnson Street.
13. Hwy. 5: Single lane traffic between Davern Street and Hwy. 55 through November. Some ramps closed.
14. I-94 St. Paul to Maplewood: The left lane on westbound I-94 from Century Avenue to Mounds Blvd. is closed. Ramp from northbound Hwy. 61 to westbound I-94 is reduced to a single lane.
15. Randolph Avenue in St. Paul: Closed between Lexington Parkway and I-35E.
16. The Franklin Avenue Bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis is closed until Labor Day weekend.
17. Minnehaha Avenue closed between 34th and 38th streets. Portions of 3rd Avenue S. have full or partial closures between 11th Street and Washington Avenue.