Royals sweep Rays
• KANSAS CITY 9-7, TAMPA BAY 5-1: Paulo Orlando hit his first career grand slam in the ninth inning off All-Star closer Brad Boxberger to give the Royals a walk-off victory over the Rays in the opener of a doubleheader Tuesday. In the second game, Alcides Escobar hit a bases-loaded double, and Alex Gordon matched a career high with four RBI for Kansas City.
• OAKLAND 4, NEW YORK 3: Brett Lawrie hit a leadoff homer in the 10th inning against All-Star reliever Dellin Betances, giving the Athletics to a victory over the Yankees in New York.
• CLEVELAND 2, HOUSTON 0: Corey Kluber pitched five-hit ball into the seventh inning and finally won for the first time since May 28 as the Indians edged the visiting Astros.
• TORONTO 2, CHICAGO 1: Felix Doubront pitched into the seventh in his first start of the season and Josh Donaldson homered to lead the Blue Jays over the host White Sox.
Cubs beat Cardinals twice
• CHICAGO 7-5, ST. LOUIS 4-3: Jake Arrieta pitched into the seventh inning and also got a career-high two hits and Anthony Rizzo launched his 16th homer as the Cubs beat the visiting Cardinals in the first game of a doubleheader. In the second game, Addison Russell hit a tying single and scored during a three-run rally in the seventh inning as the Cubs won again to complete the sweep.
• PITTSBURGH 3, SAN DIEGO 2: Gregory Polanco helped free a grounds crew member trapped underneath a billowing tarp, then hit a go-ahead triple in the eighth inning as the Pirates beat the visiting Padres.
• ATLANTA 4, MILWAUKEE 3: A.J. Pierzynski homered among his three hits, and Manny Banuelos earned his first major league win as the Braves beat the Brewers in Milwaukee.
• PHILADELPHIA 7, LOS ANGELES 2: Chad Billingsley won for the first time in over two years, beating his old team, and Jeff Francoeur homered and drove in three runs, as the visiting Phillies beat the Dodgers.
• SAN FRANCISCO 3, NEW YORK METS 0: Matt Cain gave up only two hits in six innings, and Hunter Pence had two RBI after coming off the disabled list to lead the Giants over the visiting Mets.
Bogaerts’ bat rallies Red Sox
• BOSTON 4, MIAMI 3: Xander Bogaerts drove in three runs with a bases-loaded single in the seventh inning to lead the Red Sox over the Marlins at Fenway Park.
• L.A. ANGELS 10, COLORADO 2: All-Stars Albert Pujols and Mike Trout hit two of Los Angeles’ four home runs as the Angels routed the Rockies in Denver.
• ARIZONA 4, TEXAS 2: Diamondbacks rookie Robbie Ray took a shutout into the eighth inning to outpitch Yovani Gallardo of the Rangers. Ray pitched four-hit ball over a career-high 7⅔ innings.