Robert Cushman, the football coach at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill., was named the new coach at the University of Minnesota, Morris.
He was the head coach at Augustana from 2011-14 and the defensive coordinator for three seasons before that.
"My teams have always demonstrated great competitiveness, character and organization," he said. "I believe that we can do the same here."
The Vikings were 17-23 in his four years as coach, including 5-5 last season.
• Gov. Mark Dayton will visit Worthington and Austin on Thursday for public meetings to discuss establishing 125,000 acres of water-quality buffer strips statewide. The first meeting will be at 10 a.m. at the Worthington Fire Hall, the second at 1:30 p.m. at the Hormel Nature Center in Austin.
• Junior Jon DuToit of the Gophers was named the Big Ten men's golfer of the week. He shot an even-par 210 at The Goodwin tournament in Stanford, Calif., to tie for 24th place.
• Minnesota United signed Brazilian forward Geison Moura. He played for the Loons from 2010-13.
• Two Gophers volleyball players, middle blocker Hannah Tapp and outside hitter Sarah Wilhite, were named to a collegiate national team that will compete in six matches in China between June 13-26.
• Sean Donnelly, a four-time Division III national throwing champion at Mount Union, signed with the Gophers. He will join Minnesota next year for the one outdoor season of eligibility he has left.