Havlat scores in Blues debut
NEWARK, N.J. – Jake Allen made 24 saves for his second consecutive shutout, Martin Havlat scored against his former team and the St. Louis Blues beat the New Jersey Devils 2-0 on Tuesday night.
Havlat, who signed with St. Louis last week after spending last season in New Jersey, opened the scoring in his season debut.
"Marty is a good, smart player," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "That whole line was good. The way we've been going, he really helps us. He was a good get for us.''
Allen, coming off a career-high 45 saves in a 4-0 victory Saturday over Nashville, had an easier time against New Jersey. It was his third shutout this season and the eighth of his career.
• GARDINER WINS IT FOR LEAFS: Minnetonka's Jake Gardiner scored the tiebreaking goal late in the third period as the Maple Leafs rallied for a 3-2 victory over the Stars in Dallas. P.A. Parenteau tied it earlier in the third, and Peter Holland scored late in the first period for Toronto.
• LUNDQVIST BLANKS HURRICANES: Henrik Lundqvist made 33 saves for his first shutout this season and 56th of his career, leading the Rangers to a 3-0 victory over the Hurricanes in New York. Jesper Fast, Rick Nash and Ryan McDonagh scored for New York, which improved to 11-2-2 with its sixth win in a row.
• PREDATORS OUTLAST SENATORS: Austin Watson had a goal and two assists to lead the host Predators to a 7-5 victory over the Senators. Colton Sissons scored for Nashville only hours after getting called up from the minors.
• HOME ON THE ROAD: Matt Duchene scored twice and Reto Berra made 25 saves to help the Avalanche start a seven-game road trip with a 4-0 victory over the Flyers. Philadelphia has only one victory in its past eight games.
• JAGR SCORES WINNER: Jaromir Jagr scored the tiebreaking goal in the third period and the host Panthers beat the Flames 4-3 to end a five-game losing streak. Jagr, 43, has seven goals this season.
• ROOKIE BOOSTS RED WINGS: Andreas Athanasiou scored 4:06 into the third period and Petr Mrazek had 38 saves, lifting the Red Wings to a 1-0 victory over the Capitals in Detroit. Athanasiou scored his first career goal in his second NHL game.
• SABRES BREAK THROUGH: Rookie Jack Eichel had a goal and an assist to help the Sabres beat the host Lightning 4-1. Buffalo captured the final game of the season series after it was outscored 10-3 in three earlier losses to Tampa Bay.
• PRICE OUT ANOTHER WEEK: Canadiens goalie Carey Price will miss at least another week, coach Michel Therrien said. Price sought a second opinion on his lower-body injury from a doctor in New York and got the same diagnosis team doctors had given him.