Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon took strong issue last week with claims by President Donald Trump that massive voter fraud across the country led to him losing the popular vote in November’s election.
Trump on Wednesday tweeted that he sought a “major investigation” into his own unsupported allegations, which Press Secretary Sean Spicer later said the new administration intends to pursue. Trump has repeatedly claimed that 3 million people who voted for Hillary Clinton were not legitimate voters, citing no evidence and prompting even congressional Republicans to discredit the allegations.
Simon, a DFLer who leads the office that administers Minnesota’s elections, called Trump’s remarks “false and irresponsible.”
“The president’s comments have rightfully drawn strong bipartisan condemnation, are an attack on American democracy and could have the dangerous effect of undermining confidence in our electoral system,” Simon said. “Minnesota has rigorous safety measures in place before, on, and after Election Day to ensure our elections are fair and secure.”
Minnesota led the nation in voter turnout in the last election. Trump lost the state to Democrat Hillary Clinton by just over 44,000 votes out of nearly 2.7 million cast.
Simon added that he considers an investigation unjustified. “I’m confident that the claim of millions of ineligible voters will remain unfounded,” he said.