A tree trimmer working outside a home in Minnetonka came in contact with an electrical power line Wednesday afternoon and died after being shocked, authorities said.
The incident occurred in front of a house in the 19100 block of Townline Road, just west of Hwy. 101, according to Minnetonka officials.
The man, hired by the homeowner, was unconscious when emergency responders freed him from about 25 feet up, police Capt. Scott Boerboom said.
The unidentified victim was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center.
Jacque Larson, community relations manager for Minnetonka, said Wednesday night that the man had died.
Xcel Energy spokesman Tom Hoen said electricity was lost from 1:45 to 2 p.m. for about 2,500 customers.
“You always have to be aware of where you are working around power lines,” Hoen added.
Responding to the incident were personnel from the Minnetonka Police Department and the Minnetonka and Edina fire departments.