I will be traveling out of state soon, and would like to apply for a passport while I’m gone. Can I do that outside of my state of residence? Because the federal government issues passports, you can apply for one in any state. Once processed, passports are mailed to your home, no matter where you originated the process. Furthermore, more than 9,000 public government offices across the country, including libraries and post offices, accept applications. You can find a convenient location by plugging in your zip code (or the zip code of the place you’ll be visiting) at this site. Be sure to bring what you’ll need: for first-timers, that will include a completed DS-11 form; evidence of U.S. citizenship, such as an expired, undamaged passport, a valid driver’s license or a naturalization certificate; a photocopy of the identification; and two passport photos. If you are renewing a passport, you can do so entirely by mail provided your original passport was issued when you were age 16 or older, was issued within the last 15 years, and was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change. Renewing by mail requires form DS-82. For more information and to access the forms to complete online or to download, go to State Department Web site here.