The 3-2 pitch
Three observations …
• Maybe the Twins were right in moving Jaime Garcia after one start. He has a 5.95 ERA in four starts with the Yankees. Opponents have a .900 OPS off him. Yes, that is high.
• Getting Neil Walker to play second — and getting Jonathan Villar off second — was a very good move by the Brewers.
• It’s surprising umpires didn’t issue a warning when Detroit’s Michael Fulmer hit the Yankees’ Gary Sanchez on Thursday. Crews usually are reminded when teams might have grudges, and four batters were hit July 31 at Yankee Stadium — one by Fulmer. And we saw how Thursday turned out, when there were three bench-clearing incidents.
… and two predictions
• Recent Red Sox acquisition Rajai Davis, who homered off Aroldis Chapman in Game 7 of last year’s World Series, will homer off him again before the season is over.
• Former Twins closer Brandon Kintzler is going to struggle down the stretch for the Nationals because manager Dusty Baker is going run him into the ground. Kintzler on Thursday appeared in his 12th game this month, matching his high total for a month with the Twins.