MADISON, Wis. — The Latest on federal military investigators reviewing the Wisconsin National Guard's sexual misconduct policies (all times local):
Gov. Tony Evers is standing by the Wisconsin National Guard's top commander despite calling for a review of Guard sexual misconduct policies.
Evers and Sen. Tammy Baldwin announced Wednesday that federal investigators have granted their request to conduct an extensive review of the Wisconsin Guard's sexual misconduct policies.
The review comes as the U.S. Air Force is investigating sexual assault and harassment allegations within a Wisconsin Air National Guard security unit dating back to 2002.
Guard officials said earlier this month they've received 52 sexual assault complaints between 2013 and 2017, substantiating 10 with connections to military service.
Evers tells The Associated Press that he's not questioning Adj. Gen. Donald Dunbar's leadership. He says the review is about ensuring Guard members feel safe and not about individual personnel.
Gov. Tony Evers and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin say federal military officials have agreed to review how the Wisconsin National Guard handles sexual assault after members alleged harassment, assault and retaliation for reporting incidents.
Evers and Baldwin asked the National Guard Bureau's Office of Complex Investigations in March to review the Wisconsin Guard's sexual assault and harassment reporting procedures and accountability measures.
Evers and Baldwin said Wednesday that OCI will conduct the review over several months.
The U.S. Air Force is already investigating sexual assault and harassment allegations within a Wisconsin Air National Guard security unit dating back to 2002. Baldwin requested that probe in November.
Guard officials told reporters this month that they received 52 sexual assault complaints between 2013 and 2017. They substantiated 10 related to military service.